The Return - Chapter 4

Warning - Use of strong language and violence.

*****************

*Next day at Breakfast*

"Chris Lightwood, Liam Twinn, Julias Vincent, Derik Morgenstern. These are the names we got that are somehow involved with both Herondale and Penhallow circles. How? We are still trying to figure that out." Jace said as he played with the fork in his hand, barely eating his breakfast. The surroundings around them were tense as they were out mostly all night and everyone wanted to know the progress around this case, especially Clary.

"Chris as in Gabriel's son?" Robert raised his brow. "That boy might be a piece of work but he's not an officer or related to any government service. Why him?"

"We don't know Robert," Luke said. "None of them are, actually. But they are somehow connected. We are trying to get more names that are common between Henric, Rodrick, Will, and Imogen. We don't know how large their circle is, what this is about!"

"And what are you going to do about these names? Are they the next victims?" Simon asked curiously.

"That is what we are not sure about, Simon. It could be anyone. Maybe someone we haven't found the names of. It's so frustrating!" Izzy said, grabbing her hair and letting out a tired sigh.

"I'm starting to find this deadline stupid," Maryse said. "Clary, I get why you want your wedding on that particular day, but just look at Jace. Is that how you want your husband to look at his own wedding? Like a zombie?"

"I..."

"Ma, please. It's not even that about anymore." Jace said. "You have seen how many people this bastard has killed already. We need to find him as soon as possible. For everyone's sake."

"That doesn't mean you people sacrifice rest." Alec said, "I'm not saying sleep peacefully. I remember how I used to be, but you do need a little rest. At least to gain focus and think. So please, just go and rest for a while, in separate rooms, by the way."

"Kiddo-"

"No kiddo, Lucian! You're coming with me and I'm advising everyone to get their partners and go to your rooms. It had been the longest night for everyone." Jocelyn said in absolution, leaving no place for arguments.

_______

"Something's going on in your head, right?" Magnus asked as Alec kept gently scratching his husband's scalp, cuddling close in silence.

"What if we make them his next victims, Magnus?"

"What?" Magnus frowned and looked into his eyes.

"Izzy said those four might not be his next victims, but what if we make them? Lure them all to one place? Including the killer? Searching all those school records might take forever. This way we'll get to the killer first and know who's behind that mask."

"Bur how darling and.. what.. what if my gut feeling is wrong and I had to... kill that person?"

"You know I'm with you, babe. No matter what. Just keep your weapons with you just in case. As for how, if they are involved in something together, they might be talking to each other in some way, maybe dark web. And that killer might be keeping an eye on them.

We need to figure out a way to lure four of them in one place, the killer will definitely come there. And we'll be there too. To know the face behind the mask. I know it's a risk as my dear family of FBI would be thinking in similar ways, but we need to do this."

"Are you certain, darling? You have risked so much already for me."

"And I will keep doing it," Alec said in a whisper, then leaned to peck on his husband's forehead. "Always. So stop with these stupid questions and let's do this."