Relationships... they take effort.

Prompt suggested by lovell_snowM hope this is what you wanted and will enjoy it.

P. S. It's an AU, it's not set in the shadowhunter world.

**********************************

"Sweetheart? Where are you?" Magnus's voice echoed in their loft as he kept searching for his husband in every room, only to finally hear the familiar snores coming from their balcony. He sighed then walked towards their balcony and witnessed a beautiful sight of his precious Alexander sleeping on the loveseat while an open book was rested over his chest. His heart melted at the sight. He leaned over and pecked his forehead making him stir a little in his sleep.

Alec slowly opened his eyes when he felt someone leaning over him and a beautiful feeling of soft lips on his forehead. He rubbed his sleepy eyes and glanced around him only to notice his husband leaning over him and biting his lower lip. A soft smile automatically crept upon his face from seeing the cute face.

"Hey there..." He spoke softly in his deep voice.

"Sorry, I woke you up," Magnus said and pecked his forehead again but to his dismay, Alec grabbed the lapel off his jacket and pulled him down, resulting in him falling on top of him as Alec circled his arms around his husband's waist.

"If this is how I'll wake up every time beside you, I'll love waking up." Alec smiled and locked their lips in a gentle kiss. But it didn't last long as Magnus pulled away, stood up, and smoothed his jacket, making him frown.

"Mags? What happened and why are you dressed up? Are we going somewhere?"

"Not us, only me. I... got an urgent call from the boutique, there's a special client waiting for me so I have to be there within a half-hour. Sorry, I have to leave."

Alec looked inside at the wall clock and noticed it was 7 in the evening, almost dinner time, making him sad. "But... dinner? We were supposed to have a dinner date tonight, right?"

"I'm really sorry, Alexander. I might have dinner with the clients, you can either make dinner for yourself or have take out. I'm... getting late now, I should leave. Bye." He leaned in and pecked Alec's lips but Alec didn't return the kiss making a sad frown appear on his forehead.

"Hey... I promise I'll make it up to you. Please don't be mad at me."

Alec sighed and slowly nodded. "Okay. But please don't get too late."

"I'll try, now I'm seriously getting really late, bye."

"Bye." Alec stood up and walked back inside the living room after Magnus left. He looked around at the empty loft and sighed softly, feeling more lonely than he ever felt before. He walked towards the couch, sat on it, and switched on the television but to his dismay, there was nothing interesting showing in there.  He sighed in frustration and threw the remote on the other couch then switched off the television and walked towards the kitchen.

After searching his whole kitchen he found nothing easy to make stuff there, everything was of full course meal and he wasn't in the mood for preparing a proper dinner, so he checked the take-out menu and ordered a cheese burst chicken pizza.

It had been hours since Magnus left and Alec was curled up on the couch, looking at the cold pizza kept on the coffee table in the silence of the loft. He did order the food but he didn't want to eat alone, he wasn't feeling like it. He wanted his husband beside him, or more preferably to eat dinner with him. His stomach was grumbling but he really wasn't in the mood to eat alone, and it was already getting late so he picked up his phone and dialed Maia Robert's number, Magnus' assistant designer because he knew Magnus won't pick up the call if he's with his clients.