Relationships... they take efforts. •Part 2•

Alec stormed out of their loft as tears kept falling on his face. He didn't know where to go, he just kept running where his legs were taking him. He was full of anger and heartbroken. He never thought Magnus would ever cheat on him, when did their relationship get this weak he had no idea.

He stumbled on his footsteps and almost fell so he slowed down and leaned against the wall and held the street pillar as he breathed heavily. It was evening and the streets of New York were a little steady, not too busy and neither completely calm. There was a bench on the pathway he was walking on so he walked towards it and sat down on it as he wiped his tears and held his face in his palms.

Thousands of things were running in his mind, did Magnus got fed up of him? Did Magnus found someone better than him? Did his love wasn't enough for him? How long was Magnus cheating on him? Was he just a charity case for Magnus? Was Magnus just using him this whole time?

His thoughts suddenly got interrupted when a familiar yet unfamiliar scent filled his nostrils. It was the scent he had smelled on Magnus this whole past week. His head snapped up and he looked around only to find that the scent was coming from the nearby shop whose door was open. There were people standing at the door but that scent wasn't coming from them, it was coming from that shop.

He quickly stood up and ran towards the shop, his heart racing badly from what he was about to find out. He took a deep breath as he stood outside the shop and looked up to see its name and his jaw dropped when he read it. It was a pet adoption center.

He gulped then slowly pushed open the door and walked in. The bell that was attached to the door jingled catching everyone's attention and all the cats, kittens, dogs and puppies started meowing and barking.

"Hello, sir. Welcome to Guardian Angels, I'm Amanda. What are you looking for? We have every kind of animal you can have as a pet." A woman who must be in her 40's asked cheerfully with a bright smile.

"Oh, umm..." Alec looked around and saw that there was every kind of cats, dogs, birds, snakes, and many other animals, but that scent was stronger and was everywhere, making him question his every suspicion.

"Um... mam, if you don't mind, can you please tell me what is this smell? It's... making me dizzy."

"Oh, sorry Sir. Livvy! Lower the fragrance of the freshener, dear!" She yelled.

"Okay, mum!"

"Freshener?" Alec asked as the strong scent which was in the whole surrounding lowered a little.

"Yeah, we've installed an animal-friendly freshener here, they all are animals, they will... you know... do their stuff sometimes inside or simply... just... release their smell in front of the customers. We got complaints from some arrogant customers so we had to install it, had no other option if we had to keep running our shelter. Pardon me, I talk a lot, are you okay now?" She smiled warmly and patted Alec's hand making a light smile appear on his face. From the way she talked, she seemed really sweet and nice.

"Yeah... I'm good now." Alec looked around and bit his lip. He still wasn't able to put answers to the questions he had but all the barkings and meows were like music to his ears calming and relaxing him instantly. "Mam, if I can't decide to adopt a pet from here, can I still spend some time with them?"

"Of course you can." She said cheerfully. "Animals are our friends, I won't take away the love we get from them, and the love they get from us. Go ahead. Livvy! Walk him around, dear!"

"Thank you." Alec looked around the shelter and played with every animal present there, even the snakes, but a specific one caught his eyes who was barking at him constantly since the time he was there.