9

"Mid-stage gastric cancer." After performing electronic gastroscopy surgery, the doctor diagnosed the cause.

I stared at the doctor blankly, unable to react for a while. It took me a while to find my voice and ask, "Stomach cancer?... Could it be a misdiagnosis?" As soon as I finished speaking, I realized how impolite it was to suspect a misdiagnosis in front of the doctor.

Fortunately, the doctor was not angry. He just looked up at me and further explained: "The patient vomited blood. This was caused by the rupture of small blood vessels in the lungs after the cancer cells spread. This is one of the most obvious symptoms of mid-to-late gastric cancer."

I listened blankly, and after hearing the word diffusion, I quickly asked: "Then treatment..."

"The preliminary diagnosis is that the cancer cells have not spread very seriously. Surgery is recommended."

I was relieved that I could still have surgery, but there was still hope. After swallowing, I looked at the doctor and asked carefully, "How much does the surgery cost?"

The doctor was writing a medical report and answered without looking up: "The cost of surgery plus radiotherapy and chemotherapy, depending on the medicine you take, is about 50,000 to 100,000 during your stay in the hospital. Afterwards, it will be necessary to determine whether it is necessary based on the patient's post-operative condition." If you continue to have radiotherapy and chemotherapy, plus the cost of medicine..." At this point, the doctor looked up and looked at me apologetically, "I can't give you an exact figure."

My mind went blank.

50,000-100,000, not counting the later treatment costs.

The problem is, all my savings now add up to less than 40,000, and I can't even pay the most conservative fees.

The doctor saw my embarrassed look, frowned and warned: "Your family members should make a decision as soon as possible. The sooner the surgery is done, the better for the patient. Don't waste time."

"I understand, thank you doctor."

When we returned to the ward, my mother had already fallen asleep on an intravenous drip. Aunt Li saw me coming back and hurriedly greeted me: "How's it going? What did the doctor say happened?"

"Stomach cancer." I knew I couldn't hide this from Aunt Li, and I would need her help with many things in the future.

"How could..." Aunt Li's eyes turned red instantly. People their age probably feel hopeless when they hear about a disease like cancer.

"It's okay. The doctor said that surgery is still possible. Once the surgery is successful, I'll be fine." I forced a smile and comforted me softly.

"That will cost a lot of money..." Aunt Li turned around and asked worriedly.

"I will find a way. Aunt Li, please go back and rest first." After struggling all night, I am a little worried because Aunt Li is old.

"Okay. I'll go back and pack some clothes for Axiu. I'm afraid I'll have to stay in this hospital for a long time." Aunt Li sighed, gave me a few more words, and then left the ward.

I slowly sat down on the edge of the bed, looked at my mother's face in her sleep, looked at her tightly furrowed brows, and thought of the image of her holding her belly and shrinking on the ground, and my heart suddenly ached. I stretched out my hand to straighten her hair that fell down to her face. I secretly made up my mind that no matter what method I use, I must raise the cost of the surgery.

At noon, Aunt Li came to the hospital with clothes and cooked some porridge for my mother. It happened that my mother also woke up at this time. When she woke up and saw that she was in the hospital, she was so scared that she held me tightly and looked like she was about to cry. I held her hand and patiently explained to her that she was sick and needed to be treated in the hospital so that her stomach would not hurt. Aunt Li also hurriedly poured out the porridge while it was hot and wanted to feed her. My mother frowned and turned away.