Chapter 1.

Maybe, forever
Was a word meant
For memories and
Not people.

I stared at her, her body laying on the cold ground, in a puddle of blood, lifeless, her bright blue eyes wide open staring into nothingness, her spark was taken away just like mine in that horrible night

I stared at her, her body laying on the cold ground, in a puddle of blood, lifeless, her bright blue eyes wide open staring into nothingness, her spark was taken away just like mine in that horrible night. She was the only person in this fucked up world that protected me, that loved me, and now she was gone forever.

But why? Why her?

I kept repeating that to myself, hugging my knees tightly as I was sitting next to her cold body. Sirens could be heard from afar, reaching our house as soon as possible, but heavy footsteps approaching the room I was hiding in made my chest tighten up, pressure squeezing the oxygen from my lungs. "Where are you hiding?" His deep voice echoed in the dark place, his knife scratching the wall as he made his way to me slowly.

My body couldn't move, my vision was blurried by the tears that continuously rolled down my cheeks, already stained with her blood. I covered my ears and buried my face between my knees,  trying to muffle my sobs, I couldn't just go away, I needed to stay with her at all costs. Suddenly, he grabbed a handful of my hair, making me scream in pain and surprise, my hands automatically wrapping around his wrists in attempt to free myself from his grasp, but he was way too strong.

"Found you."

I jerked from the couch, my cheeks stained with tears and my forehead sweaty. My chest rose and fell quickly, I could still hear the thud of his boots, a memory that I tried to erase no matter what I did or the therapies I've been on. I am strong.

A few beams of sun rays shone over the floor, the dark curtains were pulled to block the morning light and I was probably too drunk to even fix them properly, before crashing down on the couch. A couple of empty beer cans laid next to the couch, my head was aching badly and I felt so damn nauseous, but my dumb self wasn't willing to throw up to feel better. The room looked as if a hurricane had passed, pictures scattered everywhere, my shoes thrown randomly in different corners, my jacket hung on the TV. A complete mess, just like me.

What exactly did I do last night?

Then my phone buzzed to life, hearing the ringtone at first in the morning was already driving me crazy. Without even checking the caller's ID I slid my thumb over the screen to answer the call, "Hello." My voice came out hoarse, I was still in the middle of waking up completely. My free hand wiped away the remaining tears and sweat on my face, "Scylla Wilson." A familiar voice oozed from the phone, my eyebrows furrowed immediately.

"What.. How do you know Scylla? This is not funny, It's so early in the morning." I responded with a harsh tone, only to hear an amused laugh, "It's lunch time actually, Scylla. You can't even recognize my voice, It's me, John Price."

That name made my eyes widen and a hand fly to my mouth, I cursed mentally for being so stupid, "It's been years and you expect me to remember?" My tone immediately softened, the memory of him serving with me in the military played in my mind, it has been so long since I last saw him but I still heard news about him from my colleagues, from time to time.