Chapter 4.

And
in the end
All I wanted to learn
was how
to be strong
Alone.

Andin the endAll I wanted to learnwas howto be strongAlone

"WHAT does even Scylla mean? It can't be her real name." A familiar voice spoke in the background. I could feel the ground shake beneath me, as I laid there, forcing my eyes open.

"What's so bad about it? Probably her parents liked greek mythology." Another one spoke, then a snicker followed.

What. The. Fuck.

A groan erupted from my throat, my lungs were still burning and my head felt so light, "Easy, easy." Someone wrapped an arm around my torso and helped me sit up. "Just shut up, Soap." Another voice bickered with the other one.

My eyes fully opened and I rubbed them to focus my gaze back again, "Thought we lost ya. How are you feeling? Headache? Nausea?" Price asked me and kneeled down to my height, his expression filled with worry as he examined my look.

"Always." Another groan escaped me when I answered his question, my voice came hoarse. I let out a cough and my lungs ached, "I told you, she's a tough soldier." He proudly said and patted my shoulder before standing up. I looked around, we were in the Medevac and probably heading back to the base.

The gas out there almost killed me and I have no idea how the hell I survived it, it felt like a slow damn death.

*

The mission was still stuck in my head, being back in action and immediately sent on a tough mission was hard to handle, especially for me.

Instead of staying in my room I decided to get some fresh air, I absolutely needed it. I was overthinking that much that I found myself standing in front of a door, leading to some stairs. Without even thinking twice I climbed up, only to face another door.

I turned the knob and the night's cool breeze caressed my body, covered only in a t-shirt and sweatpants. Turns out I found a way to reach the building's rooftop.

It looked so perfect for a relaxing cigarette and a stargaze, and that's exactly what I did, instead of going to sleep. I just sat there, eyes up on the sky as I admired the brightest stars while I slowly consumed the cigarette in my fingers.

Suddenly I heard the door creak loudly and a few heavy steps, "I didn't expect to find you here." His skull mask shone under the moonlight, his hazel eyes were staring deeply into my blue ones.
His figure stood tall, a couple of meters away from the spot where I was sitting.

"Surprise then." I responded and brang the cigarette to my lips, inhaling the smoke slowly. I could feel him getting closer to me, "Can I?" He asked me, his voice deep and rough.

In response I gave him a slight nod and he sat down next to me, less than a meter between our bodies. "Can't sleep?" He broke the silence after a few minutes.

"No," I muttered quietly and kept my gaze on the starry sky, he seemed to notice the way I was always so quiet and gave short answers only. I could feel his gaze burning into my soul and for a moment I felt so scared that he might've sorted me out.

"I needed a cigarette." I added and took another drag from it, before turning my head to him, "Well, looks like you found out where I like to spend my sleepless nights." He shrugged, keeping that cold and rough tone.

My eyes scanned him from head to toe, he was wearing a simple black hoodie and some sweatpants, his face always covered with that stupid mask. Did he sleep with that thing on?

"Scylla," My name fell down from his lips, the way it came from him seemed so seductive. And I hated it, it felt so dirty. "Can I have a cigarette?" I didn't even realize that I was holding my breath all this time.

Without saying anything I grabbed my packet and took out a cigarette for him, "This is the last and only one I'm giving you." I said with the usual grumpy tone.

"Bet." He let out an amused chuckle and grabbed it from my hand, our fingers brushing slightly. I just watched him, something about him was so fucking different because my mind was attracted like a damn magnet. Was it the way he acted so mysterious?

Suddenly, he took my cigarette and lit up his own with mine, before placing it back in my fingers. I stared at him with my eyebrows raised, questioning his actions. Couldn't he just ask for the lighter..

We sat there in silence, the only sound came from our burning cigarettes whenever we took a drag from them. I leaned my back against the wall and let out a sigh, his company was quite comfortable and I wasn't used to such feeling. That's why I was so bothered.

I didn't even dare to speak a word, "Scylla.." He whispered, his voice so deep and hoarse, my name from his lips sounded so different. "Scylla. Greek mythology." He added and my head snapped towards his direction.

No one ever cared to search up my callsign, but why out of all people him? "Mhm." I responded with a small nod and took another drag from my cigarette, watching the tip turn into a bright orange-red. "A nymph that turned into a monster, responsible for storms that broke out on the sea which led to the end of many shipwrecked people."

"Was it necessary making a research?" I retorted and tossed away the cigarette, turning my head to look at him with a small glare. "I used to read about mythological creatures." He gave me a shrug and rested his arms over his bent knees.

Yeah, he's giving me bullshit. No one cared about that damn creature — or so I thought. Why were we even chatting in the first place, I was never this talkative with someone I barely knew.

"I'm done, here. Night." I abruptly got up and brushed my hands over the back of my pants, cleaning eventual dust.
And just like that I walked back into my room, my stomach was grumbling from the hunger and like an idiot I checked my fridge, hoping that with some kind of magic some food would appear in there.

I groaned and slammed the door, stomping towards my bed and slipping under the covers, might as well get some sleep then.