Chapter 39.

Look at you
comforting others
with the words
you wish to hear.

MERIDIA fished out the keys to her apartment, in her other hand she held the duffel bag she packed up with the little necessary

MERIDIA fished out the keys to her apartment, in her other hand she held the duffel bag she packed up with the little necessary. It has been a month already since she last put foot in her own house, she remembered how she tidied it up before leaving for John's base.

Her father was seen lurking around Rochdale but the Konni hideout was still unknown, so Kate had to investigate on it while the team was going to settle down at Meridia's place momentarily.

"Make yourself at home." She pushed the door open with a foot and reached for the switch to turn on the lights. Her apartment was distant from the city's center, she didn't like loud noises and luckily she found a nice apartment for rent in a more secluded neighborhood.

Her place wasn't small nor big, it held two bathrooms, three bedrooms, a kitchen and living room. Two bedrooms were changed into an office and a guest's room. But she had a sofa bed in the office, just in case.

Soap let out a whistle as he looked around, "What a fancy place." He commented and dropped his bags near the entrance, to pace around the living room. Gaz followed behind him and John turned to look at Meridia, "You're lucky you chose a private neighborhood."

She lit up a cigarette as soon as she settled down her bag and walked to the windows to open them, "Yeah, I like quiet places." She only responded. She could feel Ghost's eyes bore on her, following every movement. Yet she decided to not spare him even a single glance. And it was killing him.

She felt like things were going well, that maybe he understood her and accepted her for the scars she held, but it was all pure physical attraction. She felt so delusional.

"There's whiskey, wine, or whatever shit you drink. For food I only have snacks for now, since I had to throw everything away." She told the others and flicked the cigarette in her fingers, making the ashes fall out of the window. "I am starving.. we should order something." Soap proposed, running a hand on his stomach with exasperation.

She eyed him and a small smile formed on her lips, "Order whatever you want, don't even try to put our names or you'll risk the mission." John warned him with raised eyebrows. Soon, they were going to have the final plan and Meridia was going to take the lead together with John. It was already decided.

Leaving the others to order food, she carried with her the duffel bag and barged inside her room. It didn't feel nice being back at home but the thought of having her team as a company eased the tension. She was used to living all alone, no pets, no plants, no friends, no relatives around. Even when her mother died and she was taken under David's wing, she never spent too much time with him or Joyce.

She preferred solitude, quietness, peace. Ever since that day, she closed herself into a protective shell. When she joined the SAS she had to learn how to fight alongside her teammates, how to get along with them, yet it felt impossible.