Chapter 17.

You didn't say
goodbye,
and a part of me
believes that
you're come back.

"HOW is she doing?" Price barged in the room of the infirmary, he just came back from a mission and as soon as he heard the news he rushed to the UK's base in Austria, to check on Meridia

"HOW is she doing?" Price barged in the room of the infirmary, he just came back from a mission and as soon as he heard the news he rushed to the UK's base in Austria, to check on Meridia. "Bad, she won't speak or get up." Soap responded, his expression showing concern for the current situation.

A medical curtain was pulled over the corner were the bed was, her trembling figure hidden by the sheets. John let out a sigh and took off his hat, slowly approaching her position. Soap decided to give them some privacy and left the room with an understanding nod.

"Scylla."

Only her heavy panting could be heard, tears were flowing down her bruised cheeks, transforming in an hue of a violet and red. He pulled the curtain back, only her raven locks appeared as she was completely buried under the sheets.

He had no idea of what happened, he never expected such a behavior from her after a fight, the only thing he came to know. "Scylla, hey." He sat at the edge of the bed and placed a hand over her back, rubbing it gently in a soothing way. She immediately froze, "What happened? It wasn't just a fight.. right?"

She was always a mysterious woman, even years back when they were serving in the same team, she had secrets buried deep down her soul – secrets that he wanted to discover just to understand her in the right way. Over the years he had grown a soft spot for her and he made sure to never let it show too much, scared to ruin their 'friendship.'

She meant a lot to him.

"Talk to me." He whispered softly. She slowly sat up and covered her face with her hands, she was still stained with blood and dirt as she didn't let anyone get close to her. "John, I'm quitting." Her voice came out trembling, she wasn't willing to show her unrecognizable face, to show her weak self to her captain.

"There's no need to quit." He retorted, shaking his head in disapproval. "Look at me, John. I'm a fucking mess." She whispered and lowered her hands, now her ruined face exposed. She was a mess, not only physically but mentally too.

Knowing that her father was still alive, haunting her down to finish what he started, made her inner child pained.

Meridia knew she couldn't go on with such a ruined mentality, she was too frail and wouldn't focus on her duties properly. The missions were tough and required a lot of concentration and self collect, she didn't have any of these.

"I have no idea of what Arseni told you, the servers were hacked and cut off so we couldn't reach out to you and the others," He spoke and placed a finger under her chin, to make her raise her head and look at him. "But it doesn't mean that you have to quit, we still need you, Scylla. Urzikstan needs you, the whole world needs you."

She looked at him, her lips were quivering, she was about to break down again yet she didn't want to do it in front of him. She was always collected, reserved, strong, she never dared to show her true self to anyone else but her own mother.