Chapter 24.

Maybe when the
time is right
you will
find me
again.

THE next morning I woke up feeling slightly better, I was wrapped in two layers of blankets, my head stopped throbbing but I still had the fever, just not high anymore

THE next morning I woke up feeling slightly better, I was wrapped in two layers of blankets, my head stopped throbbing but I still had the fever, just not high anymore. A few beams of sun rays shone over the floor, the curtains weren't pulled to block the usual morning light, so the bright lighting made me groan in annoyance as I still wanted to sleep and rest.

I turned on my side and an ache between my legs made me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I quickly sat up and looked around, my eyes narrowing as they burned a little. The bed was a mess, the air smelled different, like a man has been in here with me, my white uniform was scattered around the room and I wasn't wearing my underwear.

Then it all clicked to me. I had a fever right after the mission in Siberia and Ghost spent all the night here to take care of me. To take care of me. The realization hit me like a truck, my head felt light for a moment, I stopped breathing for a few seconds as I recalled last night's sessions.

He took my body. He fucking took it and I gave him the permission.

Heat rushed to my cheeks, for an instant I thought that the fever came back, but it was the memory that made me freak out. I let out a frustrated loud groan, ruffling my hair violently. I slept with my lieutenant.

How could I be so careless? I had only been on this team for a few weeks and had ended up in the infirmary two or three times, only to risk my life hundreds more times. At this point all I could do to be useful was to quit the team and get back behind the monitors as a station chief.

But the real question was.. if I slept with Ghost then where the hell was he? There was no trace of him nor of his belongings, just his strong cologne that filled my room.

Even though he was no longer here, I still felt his presence around, his fingers leaving flames along my body, his kisses sending me into ecstasy. Nevertheless I was trying to push him away at all costs, I felt the need to have him with me, to have his body on mine, to kiss his lips and never pull away.

He was becoming an addiction, a dangerous drug that could make me rot and leave me with nothing but an empty soul that craves for more. This fact scared me the most, I didn't want to get attached to anyone, I didn't want to hurt anymore.

The sudden ring of my phone made me snap out of my thoughts and I immediately rose to my feet, searching for it around the room. I checked the pockets of my uniform and found it, John was the one calling me. "Hello." My voice came out hoarse when I answered the call, walking to my closet to take out my other black uniform.

"Soap told me you were dealing with a high fever." John's deep voice oozed from my phone, he sounded genuinely concerned. "Mhm, I'm feeling better." I responded while sliding into the black compression shirt and black tactical pants.

"You're feeling better, eh? Bet the fever is still there, I know you, Scylla." A chuckle came from him and I couldn't help but smile a little, knowing he would never buy my lies. "I'll be fine, John." I retorted with a softer tone and placed my phone on the desk after switching the call to speaker mode.

Even though there was no meeting planned for today, I still wanted to keep in action and train a little so my body wouldn't get used to laze around. And suddenly, the thought of Ghost appeared in my mind. After a particular night I expected him to at least stay to warn me that he had to leave, but instead he was making me feel like a one night stand.

Could he ever be such an asshole? After using my body for his needs, could he ever leave before I woke up? I didn't understand, sometimes it seemed to me that he cared about me. Yesterday he had come specifically to take care of me – or maybe so I thought – but he had medicine and a thermometer with him.

Yet we ended up fucking.

This man was driving me nuts. "Scylla?" John's voice made me snap out of my thoughts again, I just cleared my throat, "Sorry, I zoned out."

Another chuckle came from him, "Do you know where Ghost is?" I blurted out, probably catching him off guard. He knew I never really cared about anyone and it felt strange for me to ask, especially about Ghost.

"He's on a mission," John just replied, his tone of voice changing into a more serious one, "He has to defuse four bombs at Gora Dam." His words made my eyes widen with horror and surprise, surely it was a risky mission but Ghost could handle it perfectly.

"Oh, fuck, that's.. that must be tough." I didn't know what to say actually, there was an awkward tension and I could feel it, "Makarov has ordered the Konni to strike the Gora Dam at nightfall, but the order came from another person, sounds like a second in command."

Second in command. His words echoed in my head, and the image of my father's face appeared, making me shiver. "Yeah, totally." I muttered quietly, picking on my fingers nervously.

I didn't know whether to tell him the truth or work secretly. I felt the great need to pack up my things and leave, to search all over Urzikstan for Makarov and my father. I was 100% sure that he was with him, but I had to face him alone, it was my only need. A way to put an end to my suffering, to give justice to the death of my mother and to the little Meridia with her light blonde, almost platinum hair.

I ran a trembling hand through my now jet black hair. I had started dyeing them once I entered the military, to forget, to leave my past behind, because I had now become Scylla; a monster hiding behind a beautiful nymph, a naiad, similar to a siren.

"Are you okay?" John asked me, a hint of concern in his tone. "So, for how long will I not be assigned to missions?" I ignored his question, I made up my mind already.

"One week at least, why?"

I was building up my courage, I had to pull on my mask once again and act as Scylla, the tough and cold blooded sergeant of old times. "I.. want to go back to Rochdale, my uncle is recovering in a hospital and.. I just want to be there if he ever–.. dies." My voice came out unexpectedly trembling.

I could hear John sigh, scratching his beard as he thought, "I can let you do that. Will you be fine?"

My heart sunk deep down, I hated to lie, I would probably risk my whole team's life for what I had in mind. "Yes."

"Just one week and then we'll need you with us, if everything goes as planned we will catch Makarov during this month." He stated firmly.

"Okay," I breathed out, taking a seat over the edge of my bed, "One week will do just fine." I added.

"Take care, Scylla," He sounded like he wanted to say more, but he forced himself to not to, "You too, John."