Chapter 33.

I want to
write poems
on your skin
with my lips.

EVERYTHING felt numb, from the head to my toes

EVERYTHING felt numb, from the head to my toes. I could see only darkness and mirrors all around me, showing my reflection. But it wasn't the present me, it was little Meridia and newly adult Scylla, staring at me.

The air felt heavy, I couldn't utter a word or move anything, I felt pressured by their disappointed, confused, angry looks, as if I had failed at something. I didn't understand why or what.

Then she came from behind all those mirrors, Selene Wilson, my mother. She looked beautiful, solar, with that usual sweet smile on her rosy lips. "You've done well, it's okay." Her gentle words struck something in me, I could feel my chest burning, a tight knot forming in my throat, my eyes stinging.

"It's okay. It's going to be okay." She radiated warmth, comfort, a soothing sensation that I never wanted it to end.
"Mama, I miss-.. you." My voice came out broken.

My words were incomprehensible, my shoulders were shaking violently as I tried to hold back my sobs, to hold back my buried emotions. "You're so strong, Meridia. I'm proud of you." She cupped my cheeks in such a loving and gentle way, her warmth wiping away my tears.

Please don't go.

Don't leave me again.

I don't want to do this alone.

He's still alive.

A loud gasp came from me, my eyes shot open and the bright light of the room made them sting, "She's awake." A voice that I've never heard spoke up, then a sudden flash in the eyes blinded me. "Ms Wilson, can you hear me?"

I had tears rolling down my cheeks, more to come. The dream felt unexpectedly so real.

Who was this and what was he doing to my eyes? Instead of responding, I let out a whiney groan, shifting my head side to side to avoid the flash, "Yes." My voice came out hoarse, my throat felt completely dry.

I tried lifting up my torso and a nurse helped me. My whole body was aching, my abdomen was what hurt the most whenever I did something or coughed.
"Ms Wilson, you got shot in the abdomen and you've been sleeping for a few days. You will have to rest in bed for a whole week before starting to walk or get straight back to work."

I looked at the doctor as if he had suddenly grown two heads. A whole week? That wasn't happening, I wasn't here to do nothing. "What about four days? I'll be fine." I grumbled in response, a frown forming on my face.

"You still have to recover, you've lost a lot of blood and the wound is still healing." He clicked his tongue, his eyes reading through my medical records.
Digging my teeth into my lower lip, I thought about an excuse to make him discharge me earlier, but it seemed quite difficult.