Chapter 32.

...

GHOST

GHOST. 22nd Regiment Special Air Service lieutenant, Simon Riley. Now second in command in the Task Force 141. He was known around the base for his signature skull mask, for always keeping it on. Everywhere, anytime, even on team's nights out.

He was reserved, strict, closed off. Most likely, he shut everyone out, except for his team and Laswell. He acted threatening to those who didn't know him or vice versa, but when Scylla stepped in that damned meeting room, his guts told him that this woman was going be his ruin, the crack on his mask.

The first thing that caught his attention was the perfect contrast of her ocean eyes and dark long hair, a creature came out straight from hell, a deity turned into a monster because of jealousy. It could've been the reason of her callsign: Scylla.

She was originally a blue-eyed nymph who lived in Calabria and used to go to the beach of Zancle and bathe in the sea water. Poseidon had fallen in love with her; then Amphitrite, wife of the sea god, transformed her into a terrible monster by pouring a potion into the body of water where Scylla used to bathe.

Frightened, she fled from the water, but, looking at herself in the mirror, she realized that she had completely transformed into an enormous and tall monster with six enormous dog heads along her waist, an enormous torso and very long serpentine legs.

According to some, from the waist up she maintained the body of a girl, while for others she possessed six equally monstrous serpentine heads. In horror, Scylla threw herself into the sea and went to live in the cavity of a rock near the cave where Charybdis also lived.

Meridia Wilson, her name spoke lust and the danger of temptation. She hid her true self behind the monster, a figure she wanted others to see her as, but in reality she was a fragile woman that just needed someone by her side, to care for her and love her through her open wounds from the past.

Yet, Simon, wasn't a man made for that. He spent his whole life in misery, abused by his own heartless father, often even traumatized by his sick mind. He watched how his family fell apart slowly, his dear mother continuously abused and his brother falling into drugs. He shed blood and tears, trying to make things fall into the right places for his family, but the only thing he was left with was an open wound and the death of his mother, murdered brutally.

Simon and Meridia were so similar to each other, sharing the same past, the same open wounds, the same shattered souls. None of these could be seen, though, being too blinded by the desire and temptation coming from her blue irises.

He was convinced that it was going to be a period, maybe the abstinence, every time she was around him, just her sweet perfume sent him into overdrive. His body craved for hers, his soul begged to link with hers, she was something he was willing to worship.

But his duty came first; she was only a damn distraction, a beautiful distraction where he could bury all of his stress and pressure, all his worries, all the memories and nightmares. The way she sounded, the way she gave him attitude and tried at all costs to push him away, the way her body tensed up whenever he touched her, the way she melted into his arms that night. It wasn't just a simple distraction.

He continued to deny it, he needed to put a barrier between them and finally set an end to everything — but why was his inner child crying to him to let her into his life?

He didn't know her at all, he couldn't understand her at all. She buried secrets and pasts underneath her soul, her walls were held up high just like his.

No one knew that even two broken souls could fit their shattered pieces perfectly together.

*

"What's her status?" Laswell's voice echoed from the distance as she approached the team with quick steps. Even though the mission was completed and successful, she wore a overly concerned expression on her tired face.

Being after Makarov has been hell, she refused to get proper rest all the time, her head was stuck into plans and meetings to catch that bastard. And finally, everything came to an end – or so she thought, for now.

"She lost lots of blood." John was the first one to answer her, walking towards her to greet her with a warm hug. He too, was exhausted from the mission.

Right after Makarov was presumed dead or injured by the train, the bombs were disarmed and Medevac was immediately called for Scylla and Soap. No one would expect things to turn out like this, but surely, they were grateful for her courageous gesture even after her conditions.

What left them clueless was the unknown man holding her hostage, keeping her in a tight grip as if she was worth like a diamond. Laswell was going to dig into it as soon as possible.

"She's still in the operating room." Soap spoke up, head thrown in his hands with concern and tiredness all over his bruised face. He had a bandage wrapped around his arm, the bullet was taken out and luckily it was just it.

He felt indepted with Scylla, for saving his life and taking a bullet for him that would've probably killed him on the spot.

On the other hand, Ghost was pacing around the hallway quietly, still in his uniform and gear stained with blood. Her blood.

The same scene was replaying in his head, the image of her dull eyes was haunting him. He could feel it all, the way her frail body was shutting off in his arms, the way she desperately gasped for air and cried in agony from the pain. For no reason, he felt something cracking inside him.

He has been like this since they stepped inside and waited anxiously for any news. She was the newest addition to the team and after barely a month she was risking her life, for a teammate. Not that he wanted it to be Johnny, but he still felt.. strange.

As hours passed, finally the doctor came out from the operating room, his vest and gloves stained with blood, an exhausted look on his face. "She's going to be fine, I assure you that. For now we'll keep her asleep and monitor her vitals, the bullet was pretty deep and she lost a lot of blood."

A few relieved sighs echoed in the air, Soap still looked concerned but he convinced himself that Scylla was strong enough and could survive this too.

Before anyone could mutter a word, her body laying on the bed, came out from the operating room with other doctors and nurses surrounding her. They fixed the IV and blood sack while pulling the bed towards another wing of the hospital, "Can I see her?" Ghost stepped forward, the urge to follow her was big.

"Visits are still not allowed. Maybe in a couple of days when she wakes up."

At the doctor's words, he flexed his hands in and out slowly, trying to soothe his nerves and worry. "Simon, she's going to be fine." John approached him and placed a hand over his shoulder.

"She almost died." Ghost grumbled lowly, his eyes never moving away from her frail body as she disappeared in a corner, the sound of the bed's wheels fading away. "But she's alive, she's going to recover." Kate butted in and heaved out a sigh.

"She's the toughest soldier, I know her too well. She won't give up easily." John's words came out spontaneous, holding a soft tone that no one had ever heard from him, yet Ghost seemed to catch up on it.

He narrowed his eyes at him from underneath his mask, his hands balled into tight fists before relaxing them.

Fuckin' hell, Meridia. What kind of venom did you put in me?