Chapter 44.

He was her warmth
she was his peace.

WHEN life seemed to get worse, I usually went to get a relaxing night swim, to wash away the pain

WHEN life seemed to get worse, I usually went to get a relaxing night swim, to wash away the pain. I loved when the freezing water made contact with my skin, it was a soothing sensation.

But when life seemed to end its journey, I had not idea of what to do or what to think. I've never felt happiness, I've never experienced anything that is counted as normal. It was just me and my demons.

I became a soldier, at least I had a reason worth living for: saving lives. For a few years trainings and missions kept me away from the darkest thoughts, then that damned mission fucked up my mind and life.

Sane, you could say so. I'd lost my sanity when I went MIA and got captured by an enemy, making me go through hell day by day, not even one missing. It hurt my inner child. It reminded me of what I had gone through, the pain I tried to bury deep down because I didn't have any idea of how to heal myself and go on.

I was miserable and the captors did well to laugh at me. Because I was weak and completely helpless. The only thing I could do was to keep my mouth shut and stay faithful to my unit, until the eventual death was coming to me. Yet, it never happened.

My team had come to rescue me and I wish they didn't. I preferred to die there and let the little Meridia get her deserved peace and rest, because I was tired to keep my shit collected and act as if nothing had happened. Some people can even live through this kind of pain, but I don't.

A constant heavy burden, it was just like that. My heart felt heavy all the time, I couldn't feel anything for anyone, just a tiny fragment of affection for the couple that had tried to help me go through the pain. Tried. Because I never actually healed, it was still stuck in me. It had branched into my heart like an intruder, it was pure poison.

It had blurred my view on life, it made me think that all this time I couldn't trust anyone but myself. I couldn't tell when someone was truly concerned about me, when someone was accepting me and simply wanted me to open up. It wasn't my fault, I meant no harm to anyone.

When I finally came back into action after a whole year, I couldn't seem to fit in among my new teammates. I felt constant annoyance from their ways, it felt like they absolutely wanted me to trust them and I couldn't understand why.

The internal demon always whispered to me that it was just a way to make me vulnerable and hurt me again, and I believed it. I had shown myself to be an arrogant soldier, full of herself, when in reality I was just rotten inside.

And despite this, they continued to be near tme, especially that damned lieutenant. The masked lieutenant, the oh so famous Ghost who could draw thoughts and different emotions from me other than my usual irritation. With him, the past didn't seem to show up in my head. I felt serene, my body felt so attracted by his aura that it craved him every time. Even when he wasn't there.