Who is Blessie?

It's already 3AM in the morning. Jessica is anxiously writing a monthly report for her client when her phone rang.

"Blessie, what's up?"

"I can't take it anymore. I want to die!" Blessie cries.

"What do you mean you want to die? Stop being melodramatic! What is the problem?"

"Nadia broke my heart. I thought we're on the same page. You know how I dreamt of us being together ever since I saw her on the glossy magazine modeling this swimming outfit and how I adored her beauty upon meeting her in one gig... that backstage pass. I was satisfied upon making friends with her, but she insinuated she's open to doing more. The kisses, the love making. My heart and mind was into it 100% but it's all a game for her! I don't want to live anymore!"

Jessica is partly annoyed because she's in the middle of creating tables and graphs for her report, but she knows Blessie needs her more. Actually, this is not the first time she cried crying for a girl. Her bestfriend is a good-looking lipstick lesbian who owns a chain of nail salons scattered around Metro Manila. She even tapped Nadia Arnold to be the endorser and paid her millions. She was that desperately in love with the DJ with hopes she'd learn to love her too.

Jessica started talking. "Blessie, what have I told you in the past? Be careful! Don't give too much of your time and money to someone who is not officially your girl friend! You're too hard-headed!"

"She made me feel loved, Jessica. Or so I thought. Maybe its the devil's way of extorting money from me. I hate myself I want to die!" she blurted.

Here we go again. Blessie, one of the Metro Manila's fast-rising self-made entrepreneurs is playng the poor victim. Again.

"Blessie, do you want me to come over? I'd skin that bitch alive when I see her!" Jessica uttered half-jokingly.

"I'm sorry Jessica. Always remember that I appreciate you as a friend. Tell Nadia I love her too... too much."

"Shut up! You're creeping the hell out of me! Hello? Hello Blessie?"

No response.

"Shit! Blessie, stop playing games with me! This is not funny anymore! Blessie!!!!"

Jessica saved her files immediately and sent a short message to her client that she'd be late in submitting the report because of a family emergency.

~0~

Jessica arrived in Blessie's condo unit, but the guards tell her that she hasn't been there for three days already. She figured out to go to Blessie's favorite nail salon branch in Tomas Morato. With the help of Pocholo, the both of them passed through the back door and much to their surprise, they see Blessie's lifeless body on the floor with the mobile phone on her side.

Blessie is dead.

~0~

The funeral of Blessie was emotional. Jessica considered her as a sister. Neighbors and classmates since they were young kids, they practically grew up together. There was a time in high school when Blessie asked Jessica to kiss her in a truth or consequence game. That night, Blessie admitted to Jessica that she's a lesbian and she considers her as her first crush.

"I'm happy that finally, I told you my secret. I hope things won't change between the two of us." Blessie uttered silently while Jessica is still in the state of shock.

"Don't worry. You will always be my best friend. But really? I'm your first crush? You have such bad taste!" Jessica joked nervously.

"Well, I didn't have a choice! You're the only female playmate I have!" Blessie laughed. "Remember when Roberto kept on giving my Gumamela flowers and I keep giving them to you before? It's because I adore you so much! I saw Roberto as a flower delivery guy or something.." both of them laughed out loud.

By college, the two took different paths. Jessica concentrated on graduating wth a bachelor's degree while Blessie took a short course and struggled to start her own business. She is what you call a 'lipstick lesbian". She loves dressing up and all things that can make a woman feel special and beautiful.

"I'm happy for you Blessie but at the same time, I'm also jealous." Jessica confessed during the grand launch of the second branch located in Makati. "I may have graduated with honors in college, but I'm stuck in a boring office job. Look at you - beautiful and successful!"

"Jessica, no need to be jealous. That's not good. I've been pushing you to pursue music for the longest time. You have a good singing voice, you can play the guitar and heck, you can even write good songs! Imagine how much money you can make with the royalties!" Blessie encouraged her bestfriend.

Jessica can't help but cry hard whenever she remembers how positive Blessie was until a certain Nadia Arnold ruined everything.

Blessie never disclosed in public her true sexual orientation. Well, she doesn't have to. First of all, she's not a celebrity. She is often featured in magazines because of her natural beauty and her wit. The also tapped three beautiful artists as endorsers and one of which is DJ/Model Nadia Arnold.

During Blessie's pa-siyam, Jessica went back to the Tomas Morato branch of the nail salon and cried her heart out. Secretly, she was also in a way in love with Jessica. Treasuring their friendship more, she chose to ignore and avoid her true feelings.

"If only I've known that this tragedy is bound to happen, I could've saved you, Blessie. I'm so sorry..."

Crying her heart out for more than an hour, she sees one of Nadia Arnold's promotional poster on the wall. Smiling, so full of life. She walks closely and stares at the endorser's face closely, as if she's talking to the real person.

"You bitch. You'll pay for this!"