Poolside Confessions

It was a hot day in New Orleans and Emilia was sure that if she could sweat, she would be. "Is it possible to sweat blood?" she asked her husband, Elijah.
"It's been a long time since someone sweated blood", he said.
"Don't tease me, Elijah", she snapped.
"I'm sorry, darling", he said.
A thought suddenly crossed Elijah's mind.
"You know, we do have a pool", he said.
"Your point?" she asked him boredly.
"Well, you're hot aren't you? And pools are filled with nice cool water..." he said. He watched as a smile spread across her face.
She jumped up and ran into their bedroom.
He could hear her rummaging through her drawers looking for her swimsuit.
When Emilia acted like this, it reminded him of why he fell in love with the youngest Salvatore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Emilia was the first one to get in the water. She sighed at the cool water against her skin. "Well aren't you going to get in?" she asked him.
"Just admiring the view, darling", he said.
She placed a hand on her chest dramatically and said, "You flatter me, Mr. Mikaelson".
He smiled at her before stripping down to his boxers and getting in.
Emilia swam up to him and wrapped her legs around his waist.
Elijah could tell something was bothering her. "Darling, what is it?" he asked her.
"It's nothing really", she told him.
Elijah could see the sadness in her face, illuminated by the lights in the pool. "Please tell me", he said.
"It's just..." she said, her ears honing in on the sound of Klaus cooing at his daughter.
Elijah could hear it too. "You want a baby", he said rubbing her back.
"Of course I want a baby Elijah. You know that", she said.
Elijah said nothing.
"I know it's a stupid thing to want", she said.
"It's not stupid, darling. It's normal. We all want what we can't have", Elijah said.
"But if I had never watched Damon and Stefan die, I wouldn't be here right now. I love you more than anything in this world, Elijah, but sometimes I wish I had gotten the cure. I always wanted to grow old, get married, have kids..." she said, "This is my fault".
This was something Elijah had never heard.
They rarely ever talked about how Emilia was turned.
"How did it happen?" Elijah asked her, softly.
"The morning after I saw Damon and Stefan get shot, I went to the quarry. I had no idea that my brothers were in the area. I pulled a knife out of my dress and slit my wrists. I didn't want to live without my brothers. Damon smelled my blood and came to my rescue. He didn't want me to die, so he turned me", she explained.
"I had no idea, darling", Elijah said, "But I'm glad he did it".
Emilia looked at him, confused.
"While your happiness means the world to me, if he hadn't turned you, I would've never met you", he told her, "I love you Emilia Salvatore Mikaelson".
"And I love you, Elijah Mikaelson", she said. She leaned down and kissed him. While she was still sad about not being able to have a family, she was glad she had Elijah.
It didn't matter that her brothers hated her husband and her brother-in-law had tried to kill them multiple times.
He was her family.