Royal Highness

Across the courtyard from where you stood, a stranger stared back at you with dark eyes with a glint of mischief in them. You smiled back, then continuing to walk throughout the courtyard to greet small children and families who consisted of peasants telling you they wished your father a happy birthday. The king himself was fifty years old, a large feast with games and music was held all in the courtyard of your castle.
"Princess Y/N." Old women and their daughters bowed before you. You smiled and waved them off with a nod.
You continued to stroll through slowly, roasted goose and lamb, vegetables and fruit baskets lined up by your chefs. Nobody was allowed to touch until your father declared it was time to eat. "Princess." You heard from beside you. You looked to your right with a smile, realizing you were face to face with their chest, and slowly trailing your eyes upward to the stranger. It was him, the one admiring you from across the courtyard. His eyes blazed like wildfire, sparking your interest. You held your hand out to him, and he took your hand, gently kissing each knuckle while you bowed to him. He was royalty, the silver lining of his dress shirt. His long hair was tied behind his head neatly, his clean shaven face seemed to attract you more.
He took your breath away. "Charmed. I do not recall-"
"Prince Kol." He added and you swallowed. He was staying with your family for a few months. He'd traveled all the way from England to stay with you for safety. "We haven't officially met-" You could tell where he was going and you shook your head.
"My father will not see you as a perfect suit for me. Do not try." You waved him off and headed into the other direction. Kol watched you walk away, a small smile on his face. Many men have tried, but you could already tell your father wouldn't approve of another prince from another country trying to claim you before he chose your future husband.

The royals sat around the large table while peasants danced and ate their own meal in another section of the courtyard. You sighed and listened to your father give a speech of his thanks and appreciation for the party. You fixed your tiara and looked down at your plate, Prince Kol sitting across from you to watch you. Champagne was served to you.
"We can make small talk, surely." The prince across from you shrugged lazily. You could already tell he was no man, he was something else, foolish, lazy, but full of so much fire he could burn your hair off of your head with one touch. He managed to make your cheeks flame during your first encounter an hour ago. Your father laughed and talked to his servants, kissing your mother sweetly and thanking her for the party and meal. You spun around, a small boy and girl standing there, watching you all eat your bread and lamb with your side of vegetables. The peasants were not to associate with your dinner party, but they were only small, they couldn't be a day over five. Your father watched you with warning, your mother pursing her lips and the servants knowing already what you were going to do.
You grabbed your large slices of freshly baked bread and grabbed the rest of your plate and headed for the children. They seemed afraid, but smiled and clapped when you knelt before them and caressed their nappy hair, holding the plate out to them so they could choose what they wanted.
"Take all that you like." You encouraged them, noticing you could see their ribs and watched them hold their bread in the air, chewing it and swallowing much too fast. They grabbed the roasted carrots in handfuls as you were given rather large portions. Maybe one day if you were to rule the kingdom, you would change the rules. They smiled up at you, grabbing chunks of lamb and nipping at the best parts that were seasoned. The plate was halfway gone and they stuffed themselves. You pet their heads again, the small girl hugging your arm and the boy holding your hand. "Find your mothers." You smiled and waved them away. When you looked up, your father was shaking his head, you'd disappointed him.

"I never thought the princess could ever disobey her father and feed the peasants." Kol caught up with you as you headed for your room. You sighed and rolled your eyes. "I take it you might not like me as much as I'd hoped you did." You spun around, holding your door handle, the torches on the wall flickering on and off.
You sighed and gazed up at him. "I am flattered you would not give up in your pursuit. But you are like the rest and I know what you want from me." The charming prince placed his hand over your head on the stone wall, your back pressing into it. He was quite intimidating when he wanted to be.
"What might that be, your highness?" He whispered, making you purse your lips together and chew them violently. "I am like no other. Beyond anything you could ever imagine." His fingers stroked your cheek lightly and trailed into your long, curly hair, and downward again to your chest.
"Intimidating the king's daughter will require a strict-" You panicked but Kol put his index finger to your lips.
He smiled, and you knew then he was dangerous. "Of course you're the king's daughter. Locked away for eighteen years in a castle with everything at your fingertips, Princess. I believe you haven't lived at all yet." His lips were hovering yours. This was so wrong, you were supposed to stay sacred until marriage as your father wanted it.
"I do not belong to you, nor will you ever have my father's approval." You rushed, his arms keeping you boxed in. "If a guard is to catch us-"
Kol scoffed. "I will take care of your guards." His voice was full of promise. "I want you to be mine. There is something about you, Princess. That even a man like I could notice from across the room and feel intoxicated by your beauty."
"Your words are clever." You puffed, your breath fanning over his lips. "Is this what you want from me? To be with me and take all of my family's wealth?"
Kol's mouth formed a line. "Perhaps I make you feel as though my intentions are for something selfish." His forehead almost touched yours. "Its only taken me five hundred years." He stroked your hair. You swallowed and your eyes widened. Your father's warned you about creatures like Kol. Kol was responsible for the attacks in your kingdom.
"You're one of them." You hoisted your dress, ready to run. Tears poured from your eyes. Kol held you in place.
"I am." He was so honest. "And if you can keep my secret between yourself and I, you can allow me to show you some things."
You swallowed. "I must call my father and his men up here." Your voice was hoarse. "Do not hurt me." You whispered as he leaned in and sniffed the soft skin of your neck.
"I would never." He hummed and backed away slightly. "I am trusting you not to tell a soul."
For some reason, you weren't afraid of him anymore. There was a pull between the both of you, one that was full of tension. "I will keep your secret." You promised and watched Kol recede into the grand staircase to leave you in front of your room all alone.