Chapter 51: At home for a while

RYLEE'S P.O.V.

We got out of the plane and went to take our bags. We were finally again in New Jersey. I knew it was just a two weeks holiday, but anything better than staying in France forever, away from my friends.
When I was about to take my bag, someone lifted me up and spun me around in the air. I looked up just to see Ray and his afro.

– Raaay – I said happily. He left me on the ground and we hugged.

– It's been so long – he said.

Mikey was there too, and when he finished greeting Gerard and Frank, he turned to me and smiled.

– Hey, I know you, right? – I said but then smiled.

– Mikeeey – he opened his arms for me and I practically jumped on him.

We made our way home. Our real real home, and it felt so good to see the streets again and the houses I'd been missing for so long. I lost myself in my thoughts, and only came back when Gerard patted my hand.

– We're here – he said, opened the door and went out.

I blinked, looked outside the window and really realized in that moment how much I'd missed all those things. I went out of the car and stretched. Home.

– We're here – I repeated to myself with a smile decorating my lips.

~»~

After putting all our stuff in our closets, Gerard and I sat down on the couch. Mikey and Ray had told us that they had stuff to do but that they'd be back that night for the barbecue we were going to do, and Frankie had disappeared long ago because he wanted to see his girls, and also Jamia.
I rested my head on Gee's shoulder and sighed.

– What's on your mind? – he wondered.

I shrugged.

– Just thinking about everything – I smiled at him.

I clapped my hands against my knees and stood up.

– What about we go now and buy the stuff for the barbecue? – I asked.

Gerard looked at me from his spot on the couch, sighed but stood up anyway.

– Sure, let's go – he introduced his hands in his pockets and followed me to the door. 

We decided we'd walk to the mall since it wasn't far from our house. It felt so great to see again the buildings, the people. French people was different, not in a bad way, but still different.
We arrived to the mall and lost count of time just looking at the shops we hadn't seen in a while. When I realized of the time, I told Gerard to hurry up, but I ended up looking for the stuff by my own, because Gerard's reply had just been a 'okay okay' without movement. So I left him in the comic shop.
I took some hamburgers and some tofu ones too since Frankie and Jamia were vegetarians. As I looked for the things I needed, I unconsciously started humming the song that came through the speakers. Minutes later I started feeling some pain in the chest. I stopped walking and rested my hand where it hurt. That wasn't good.
I tried to breathe calmly, trying to make the pain go away, but it was just becoming worse. I took my phone from my jacket's pocket as I could and dialed Gee's number. When he answered it I told him with the few words I was barely able to say.

– Where are you, Rylee? – he asked nervously.

I think I told him where I was. I only remember how everything faded away slowly. Then waking up in an observation room. I blinked a couple of times, frowned and looked with my eyes someone familiar. Thanks to the open door, I spotted Gerard in the white corridor, talking to a doctor. He ran a hand through his red hair. I frowned again. What was going on?
They both looked in my direction and Gee's eyes lightened up when he saw me. He practically ran to my side.

– How are you? – he said, slightly stroking my forehead with his hand, taking away my fringes from my eyes.

– I think so...mm, no – I said. My voice was hoarse and it hurt a little when I breathed.

The doctor explained to me that in my case it was normal and that I should avoid talking while it still hurt me when I spoke. Apparently my lungs had collapsed for a minute more or less. Whoa. But for my surprise the doctor told me that I could go home perfectly, I just needed to relax and avoid stressful situations.
I sat down on the hospital bed, Gerard's worried eyes on me all the time.
I cocked my head to the right, looking at him and smiled, trying to calm him. He tried to return it but it didn't end up pretty well.
I filled the papers I needed to go out of the hospital and soon we were soon back at home.

– Okay, sat down, I'll tell the guys we'll do the barbecue another day, wait here – he said, searching for a number in his phone.

I frowned and looked for a paper and a pen.

Don't do that ): – I wrote.

– You need to relax – he returned, looking at me frowning.

I haven't seen my friends in a lot of time, I want to be with them – I wrote quickly and showed it to him.

He ran a hand through his hair.

– I don't think it's a good idea – Gerard told me, but I used my puppy eyes on him.

He sighed.

– Okay, but just an hour or so, you listened to me? – he said. I nodded quickly and smiled.

I left the pen and the piece of paper on the coffee table and rested my back against the couch. Soon Gerard joined me, passing an arm over my shoulders and resting his forehead against the side of my head.

– I don't want you to get worse– he said, his eyes closed.

I frowned for a moment. I understood what he was talking about, but he had to understand me too. I hadn't seen Jamia, and had only been with the guys for five minutes. I wanted to see my friends after months in France.
I reached out, took the paper and the pen from the table, drew a heart and showed it to him. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

Suddenly I realized about something.

We didn't buy the food – I wrote.

– It's true. I'll tell Mikey to buy it and I'll pay him later – he replied while taking his phone from the table and then wrote a message.

I sighed calmly, my eyes on Gerard. I unconsciously reached out and touched the back of his messy red hair. He looked back at me and smiled.