Chapter 55: So long and goodnight

RYLEE'S P.O.V.

I sat down on the floor and started crying.

How could he?

After what seemed hours for me crying, I wiped the last tears and took the suitcase from under the bed. I couldn't stay there any longer. That house would always remind me of Gerard, and I wanted him out of my life...or I thought so.

I put all my stuff inside it, not really caring if my clothes were wrinkled or not, and then closed the zippers.

Taking my jacket in one hand and my suitcase in the other, I made my way through the hallway to the door, passing the living room.

I glanced inside, just to find Gerard in the same position as I left him. He was sat on the couch with his face buried in his hands.

I guessed he heard me, because he turned to look at me and when he saw my suitcase his eyes grew wide.

– Please, Rylee, let's talk about this, please – he begged, coming to meet me in the hallway.

I shook my head, trying to hold back the tears.

– There's nothing to talk about Gerard, I can't live here anymore, and I can't be with you after this – I introduced my hand in my pocket and gave him my key.

I took the suitcase and was about to open the door when he took me by the wrist.

– This can't finish like this. All we've been through...are you just going to throw it to the trash? Do I mean nothing to you? – He asked.

I saw the sorrow in his eyes, and his questions were only hurting me. Of course he meant something to me, he was my world, he had been my world for almost all my life.

– How dare you ask me that – I spat.

– That's how I'm feeling right now – he replied.

– I was there for you every time you were drunk and I gave you half of my fucking lung. How dare you! – I shouted, the tears already running down my cheeks.

He remained silent, but his hand kept holding my wrist. I didn't say anything either, just let the tears abandon my eyes. We stayed like that for what seemed ages.

What had I to say? I loved him, yes, but I couldn't stay there, watching how he had a baby with another woman.

– Rylee... – he whispered.

– What – I questioned, still crying.

– Marry me – he replied.

I looked up at him while his thumb caressed the side of my hand.

– Goodbye Gee – I said, but his hand didn't left its position.

– I'm serious – he told me.

– Let me go, Gerard – I said.

– Tell me you don't love me and I'll let you go – he whispered.

I opened my mouth but no words came out. I obviously couldn't tell him that, and he knew it.

– Let me go, Gerard – I repeated.

– Tell me and I'll let you go – he repeated as well.

– I don't fucking have to tell you anything, leave me alone! – I shouted and shook my hand angrily.

When I was free from his grip, I took my suitcase and went out, putting it in the trunk and making my way to the driver seat.

Gerard rested his back against the door frame, looking at me with those eyes I'd been lost in so many times. I wiped the tears from my eyes and introduced the key, turning on the engine.

I had to go, but deep inside I knew my heart would always belong to him.

~»~

I drove to the nearest 24 hours restaurant and ordered a tea. While I drank it, I had to think about what I was going to do until I took my plane back to France in two days.

I had no place to go, well, I could actually go to Frankie's house but they had the girls...I could also go to Mikey's, but he was Gerard's brother. Ray was out of town until the tour started, visiting his girlfriend. Only Bob was left.

I dialed his number, just in case he was busy or wasn't at home.

– Yeah? – muttered a very sleepy Bob.

– Hey Bob, it's Rylee. Can I go to your house? – I asked and then sipped some of my tea.

– You know what time is it? I was sleeping – he groaned.

– I have a reason to wake you up, I promise. Please, let me go to your house – I almost begged.

– Sure, but it better be for a good reason – he sighed and then hung out the phone.

I drove to his house, the dark surrounding me, but at least it was a safe place.

Bob opened the door almost instantly after I knocked on it, only wearing the a pair of sweatpants and scratching his blond hair with his free hand.

– Come in – he said and let me in.

I fought the tears that were willing to come out of my eyes, but finally let them run down my cheeks.

I told everything that had happened to Bob, and he didn't say anything, just hugged me, kissed my forehead, directed me to his bedroom and said he'd sleep on the couch just in case I needed him. I thanked it to him, even when I could have slept on the couch.

I cried myself to sleep and the next morning I had the worst headache and sore eyes of my life.

Bob made pancakes for breakfast. The smell woke me up, and my stomach too. I slowly made my way to the familiar kitchen.

– Good morning – he told me and smiled.

– Morning – I mumbled back as I sat down in a chair and rested my head on the table.

– How are you feeling? – he asked as he put a plate with pancakes in front of me.

– Worse than awful – I replied and introduced some food in my mouth.

He sat down in front of me with a plate of pancakes too and sadly smiled at my response.

– Everything will be fine – he told me.

Now that I had reached the bottom, it could only get better, right? Not really.