Chapter 14

Bethany

"What the hell is Barstow?" I asked Brian.

"It's where I grew up." We were watching the Barstow Speedway and the guy in car 68 was apparently Roman Pearce. He got out of his car. Damn, he is attractive.

"That's Roman?" I asked, staring at him. Brian laughed and nodded. Roman looked over here and his smile faded, I guess because he saw Brian. "Damn, B. What did you do?"

Brian shrugged and we all walked out, towards were Roman went. We saw him. "Pearce," Brian said, but he kept walking. "Roman Pearce," Brian turned around. "Whatever happens next, just let it go," I eyed Brian. This isn't gonna be good. Brian whistled. "Rome!" Finally he turned around,

"Only my home boys call me Rome. Pig," he was pissed. He was hot as hell though. He spit.

"I'm not a cop anymore, bro," of course this is what it was about. Brian made the best of friends and then ruined his friendships because of his job.

"Is that true? Blondie head's not a cop anymore?" He looked at me and the officer that I still don't know the name of. I nodded.

"That's true. No badge." Roman clenched a fist and swung at Brian. They wrestled for a second and Roman threw a few punches. Eventually they stopped and started talking.

"Is this deal legit?" Roman was still angry as they walked over here.

"If you do this job for us," the officer said.

"I told you," Brian acted like a 5 year old. I smacked him upside the head.

"Shut up, punk. So you gon clean my record and get this thing off my ankle?" I got where Roman was coming from.

"Yeah," I spoke up, "after the job," I just looked at him and he looked at me.

"Man, quit playing like you're gonna pass this up," Brian said and Roman just mumbled something.

We drove back to Miami. I sat next to Roman in the backseat. "So are you a cop?" I shook my head.

"Nope. Technically speaking, Brian is my 'brother'," I put quotations around brother. "We've known each other for a while and he is all the family I've got left. Cause family goes beyond blood." I told him. Brian looked at me from the passenger seat and smiled. His blue eyes bright as ever.

"Love you too Beth," Roman just kept looking at me.

"What? Is there something on my face?" I started rubbing my face, but Roman just laughed lightly.

"Nah. I was just wondering how you ended up hanging out with him," I raised an eyebrow.

"What's wrong with it?"

"He is an ugly ass scrawny kid and you're fine as hell," I felt my cheeks heat up and I just looked down.

"Sometimes I wonder the same thing," I flip my hair, laughing. The rest of the ride was quiet. We all walked up to US Customs. The officer, then Brian, Roman and me, so when Brian walked in and Roman stopped, I knew something was wrong.

"Are you gonna go in there?" I put my hand on his bicep. He seemed nervous.

"I don't know if I should be trusting Brian."

"If you go and do this, you can get a fresh start," I smiled but he got a bit mad.

"I wouldn't need one if it weren't for him," I backed away from him. Brian came out and got in Roman's face.

"You need to chill out and not yell at her." B pointed at Roman's chest.

"I don't need to chill out,"

"Yes you do. And you need to stop blaming me for your every mistake. And Roman Pearce needs to start taking responsibility for his own actions." He pointed at him again.

"And you need to go to hell," Roman threw back at Brian.

"The both of you need to shut the hell up and go in there," I said, pushing through them.

"You need to go back to Barstow," Brian turned away.

"I'm not going back to Barstow," Roman picked up his case and walked in behind us.

Inside Customs, there was a delivery truck. The back of the truck opened and there was the girl from the race. "Brian O'Conner, Roman Pearce, Bethany Anderson. Meet Monica Fuentes."

"Do they have background on Verome?" She asked, jumping down.

"They've been brief," the guy said.

"Good. Look. Verome's looking for drivers. I've also hired some thugs to make it look legit."

"When do we start?" Roman asked the girl. Undressing her with his eyes. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Now," she replied, flirting unintentionally.