Chapter 35

Bethany

"Tej! I can't make that one turn," I stopped the car and dropped my head onto the steering wheel.

"Yes, you can. You just gotta switch gears, press on the gas and turn the wheel. Now try again," He told me from a few feet away and I sat back in the seat.

This had been going on for about 3 hours? I don't know, maybe not. But it feels like 3 hours. Tej was in the car with me during the basic training. We had to remember, during a race, you don't stop. So he just made sure I didn't brake at all during the drive. I had to practice weaving so we were in an abandoned parking lot.

There were large lamp post every few yards so I started slowly, making sure the car would fit. Each time, I went faster, making the route harder. Eventually I passed that and Tej got out the car. He leaned against his car in the middle of the make shift track.

"Beth, you're making the turn, too wide. If you turn wide, cars can get in and pass you." I nodded and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "And you have to watch everywhere. You could crash if you don't pay attention to everything around you." Again, I nodded.

It was different for me. When I watched Dom, even Brian, race, they always looked so relaxed. One hand on the wheel, the other resting on the gear shift. I was always so tense and nervous. Maybe if I tried to relax. So I closed my eyes, took a deep breath in, and as I let it go, my eyes opened. I pressed the gas and turned right. I switched the gears, braking and accelerating. I weaved between a few posts and made an immediate left turn, switching gears again.

"There you go, Beth!" I smiled after hearing Tej cheer for me. I dodged the cones on the ground, lining the 'road'. After two more lefts, I stopped after I passed Tej.

"How'd I do?" I got out and walking over to Tej. He had his arms crossed and he just looked at me.

"You're gonna kick some ass!" We smiled and high fived, and he brought me into a hug.

"Thanks, Tej. I couldn't have done it without you," my arms were wrapped around his torso.

"Girl, I already know." I felt his chest move as he laughed but I smacked his arm.

"Shut up," I pulled away, "Let's go check on Brian," we parted ways. I went to Mia's car and Tej went to his car.

It was almost dark when we went back to the garage. I saw Brian and he looked at Tej.

"How'd it go?" His eyes were bright and he smiled, shutting the hood.

"Awesome! You should've seen me. I may even be able to beat you," I smirked at him and he just looked at me. Then his eyes went to Tej and he laughed. I spun around. "Okay so I probably can't beat you. But I was good." The guys laughed and I looked at Brian's car.

"You like?" I nodded at B's question. It was shiny and blue and the inside was pretty basic. Except the driver's side was on the right.

"It's okay. Did the boss give you any standards?" I asked, going to sit on the hood.

"Don't sit there! You can not sit on my car. And he made me put a tracking device in," I made a disgusted look.

"He is ridiculous. They aren't stupid, especially if they caught and killed the rest of the officers. They probably have detectors for that shit." I sat on a stool close to the car.

"Well let's hope not." I sat still and watched the two boys talk. Eventually I just zoned out, staring at the wall.

"Hey, Beth," I turned and saw Tej walking to me. "I gotta tell you something," I nodded and he sat on the other stool. "So I trust you, like a lot. And I care about you. So since I have more than one car back home, I was thinking you could use mine for the race." He paused. My eyes widened and I was going to thank him, but he started again. "But if you put a scratch in her or a dent or even a chip of paint, I will kill you." I nodded and my cheeks hurt from how hard I was smiling.

"Wait, how are you gonna get home?" I wanted to make sure he had a way home.

"I'll be taking Mia's car you were using and fixing it up. Then I'll bring it back to you, almost brand new," Tej was absolutely the sweetest guy there was.

"Tej, you don't have to do this." And he shook his head and handed me the keys.

"I gotta look out for you." His smile was contagious so I smiled and hugged him.

"Thank you," he chuckled and wrapped his arms around me.

"It's no problem, B."

SO WE ARE GONNA REUNITE WITH DOM AND IM GONNA HAVE SO MUCH FREAKING FUN WITH THIS NEXT CHAPTER AHHHHHHHH