Chapter 31

Beth

I drove as fast as I could in that Integra. Walking through the door, I walked to the front desk. "Excuse me, could you tell me what room O'Conner is in? I'm joining him for a meeting." He looked at me and eyed my blazer. I had my blazer open and the white button up shirt was only button up so far.

"Anyone could come here and say that, but by the looks for it, you don't look like a threat. Down that hallway, third room on the left. You should be able to see him through the window," he winked and I fakely smiled. My heels clicked as I walked away as fast as possible and looked in the offices. Then I saw Brian. I waved violently, trying to get his attention.

The lady next to him saw me and I smiled and pointed to Brian. She pointed to Brian and I nodded. She nudged him and he looked, he saw me and waved his hand over. He stood up as I went to the door.

"Sorry to interrupt. Had a funeral today," I made the excuse for myself being late.

"I'm sorry, who is this?" The man at the front of the room asked, as I hugged Brian.

"Oh sorry. I'm Bethany Anderson. My cousin was Letty Ortiz. She was killed recently in according to the Braga case. I thought I could take her position or at least join the case, sir." I spoke clearly and calmly. Brian smirked and led me to his chair and then grabbed another for himself.

"Well Ms. Anderson, you didn't miss much. As I, myself, just arrived so I can go back a few sentences." Penning, the man up front, had stated. "I just got off the phone with Deputy Director Lawson. If we don't make serious inroads into the Braga case in the next 72 hours, they're gonna shut us down." I nudged Brian.

"I told you, you had a time limit." He just shook his head and looked at the girl who started talking.

"I know I'm a newbie here, but why the clock now?" I sat up straight in the chair and looked at the laptop in front of me that Brian had been using.

"Because it's been two years, and the last three agents we sent to infiltrate his organization came back in body bags." He answered her question and my eyes drifted to the screen. Everything about Arturo Braga was unknown, except his name. "He's moved more heroin across the border than Escobar did in 10 years. This guy is becoming one of our biggest national threats, and we don't even have a picture of him. We don't have prints! Not even a god damn DOB," I shook my head. On the screen, showed my cousin and several other agents, all deceased. Along with three known associates; Campos, Calderon, and Yashar, all traffickers. "What's the status on David Park?" Brian's head shot up and I knew he had something to do with that. "Isn't he our ticket in to the Braga organization?"

"We're running the name through city and county databases, sorting the possibilities. We've got over 500 already." The 'newbie' stated to Pennings.

"Parks insignificant. Sounds like another jerk-off to me," the guy across from me said. I didn't know anything about Park, but I could already tell that guy is an asshole.

"It's not. Without Park, Braga wouldn't have drivers to move his shipments. Cross-check traffic. Illegal modifications. Street racing. This guy will definitely have a record. We'll find him," Brian knew what he was totaling about so I would have to ask him about it later, to get caught up in the case.

"We better," Pennings stated and then the meeting was dismissed.

"Alright, B. Now that I'm involved in the case, I gotta get to know the case-" I was going to continue talking until that asshole interrupted me.