Chapter 29: Baby surprise

Two days later:

Richard is talking to my mom in the living room. I am hiding in the kitchen trying to hear what they are saying. The only thing I know is that my mom is getting into a better mood with me now that Richard is around.

"I agree," mom says. "I guess I'll be more considerate next time with both my kids."

I walk to the living room and sit next to her. "so now you understand?" I ask.

"Si, claro que si. Sorry sweetie, I guess I just didn't want you to end up like me," she says.

I hug her, "it's okay mama. love you."

"I love you too mija."

Richard chuckles, "Well I guess my job is done here."

We all stand. My mom and I walk Richard to the door.

"Bye Richard," mom hugs him. "Hope your trip goes well and say hello to Ian and Kyle for me please. Those are good kids."

"Of course," he smiles. "bye a
Alexandra. are we still friends?"

"Sure," I sigh.

"Bye," he says.

**

I get ready and head out the door. I need fresh air.

I start walking to the park when I see Pete and his girlfriend. It is Zoey from high school. She smiles and comes running towards me.

"Alex" she hugs me "oh my haven't seen you since like graduation!"

Pete comes and says hi.

Zoey shows her braces, "you look awesome. How you been?"

"Okay, and you guys?"

"Happy!" she giggles and kisses Pete's cheek.

"Yeah what she said," he smiles.

I see a different Pete now. I am happy for him. I believe he has changed for the better. I feel deep inside that I hope he would have changed when I was his girl.

"Alex," Richard says from behind. I turn and see he has a black tight button shirt and dark blue jeans. He cut his hair shorter and shaved. What is he doing here?

Pete gets stiff, "Hey Rick"

Richard smiles, "hey Pete and hello miss."

Zoey blushes, "hi."

Pete wraps his arm around Zoey's small waist. "Let's go Z. We are going to be late for dinner."

Zoey nods, "Okay well see you all later. Bye."

"Bye" I say.

Richard stands in front of me and smiles. "you look great."
I roll my eyes. "What do you want? I already gave you what you wanted."
He smiles. "I know. I wanted to ask if you want to go out later tonight."
"No. I need to start planning for my next move,"
Richard gets closer. "Okay," he kisses my cheek. I step back.
"Let me refresh that. I'm going to take you out tonight. I'll be here waiting for you at 9."
I cross my arms. "No."
"You are."

..

The music is loud, people dancing, the smell of alcohol and sweat fill the room, and colorful lights hit our faces.

Richard orders some white wine. he turns to me, "I am not used to this."

I chuckle, "Me neither."
"Relax Alex," he places his hand on my lap. "Try it." He gives me a class of wine. I sigh and take a sip.
Richard continues to make small talk. Clearly, he is uncomfortable here.