Chapter 34: Finding Alex

Next day:

Cassy told me Alex is in Mexico. Jennifer commented that Alex called from a weird mexican number. She felt the need to tell me. She wants Alex to know that Gil is in jail and she can come back to the U.S.

I see Cassy still sleeping soundly. It is four o'clock in the morning. I am taking a plane to Baja California. I tricked Johnny in telling me where his uncle lives.

I leave Cassy a note: WILL BE BACK IN A WEEK. DONT WORRY. GOING TO LOCATE ALEX AND TELL HER THE NEWS. I ALSO REALLY WANT TO TALK. I NEED TO CLEAR THINGS WITH HER. TAKE CARE.

....

After a long trip, I finally arrive to the airport in Baja California. I managed to get Uncle Luis number. I told him to meet me at the airport. I see him waiting for me.

I get my bag and walk towards him. "Hello," I say.

"Hi Ian," he offers me his hand and I shake it. "Nice to see you again."

"Thanks sir, likewise."

"Let's go talk in my house."

...

Uncle Luis lives in a decent home. He lives near the ocean and it is great. He offers me coffee with sweat bread.

"So what is it that you need to talk about?" he asks. I sip on the coffee, "Luis I need to know where is Alex."

"Nope," he says, "not going to tell you especially after you took a long time to come to ask me."

I sigh, "I am not looking for her to be with her. I just need to make sure she is fine and I need to tell her some news."

"Still, my Alex made me promise her not to tell anyone."

"Sir-"

"Ian please, you are married. I see the ring around your finger."

I look down at the golden band on my finger. "I know but like I said, I just want to talk to her."

"Here I am,"

I jump out of my seat and turn around. I see Alex next to luggage in front of me. "Alex," I say.

"Why are you here?" she asks.

Uncle Luis goes to her side and hugs her. "I swear I didn't tell him where I live or-"

"I know," she whispers. "can you let us talk?"

"Sure mija," Uncle Luis gets her things and walks away. She walks towards me, "Ian, what are doing here?"

I don't know if I should hug her or kiss her or cry. I am so glad to see her. Man, even with her very round stomach she looks beautiful and glowing.

"I have news for you," I finally say.

"Let's sit," she says.

ALEX POV

I can't believe he is here. He was looking for me. He still cares. We sit down on a couch.

"You look great Alex."

"Thanks."

"How have you been?" he asks.

"Good, how about you? How was your wedding?" I see the ring on his finger. They must have like four months already.

"Okay, living each day," he answers.

"So what is the news?"

"Well, Sam, Cassy and Jennifer are doing well in their pregnancies. Sam is having twins a boy and a girl. Cassy is having a girl and Jennifer a boy."

Aww...that's nice.

"Second, Johnny is free. The contract is no longer there," he says.

"Really?" Oh that's great! I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my soul.

"but he is staying still in the house. He told me that he needs time to leave but I don't know why."

What?

"Johnny has been acting weird lately. If I was him I would just leave."

"I am going to call him soon," I say.

"And well, everyone misses you," he says. I look at his eyes, "You too?"

"More than you think but I know we can't be together and that's fine."

It hurts me. He can't fight for me anymore.

He places his hands on my stomach, "How along are you?"

"Seven months, but I barely found out it's a boy. He wouldn't let himself show his parts," I chuckle.

"Great," he smiles. "Oh snap he kicked!"

He did. He is happy.

"When are you going back home?" he asks.

"Well I was going tomorrow, but now I don't know."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want to see you or Kyle or Richard,"

"Why my dad?"

"Well because of Johnny,"

"But you aren't living with them anymore."

Stop talking Alex!

"Well you know," I say.

"I guess," Ian says.

I sigh, "Well if that's it then can you go?"

"No," He cups my face, "We need to talk ."

"About what? I told you everything."

"Gil is locked up for rape, physical abuse, robbery, and misuse of his position," he says.

"Good," I say, "let him die in prison."

He nods, "he will so why can't you tell me what happened?"

I say no. "I already told you that he raped me and that this baby isn't yours. There is nothing else to talk about."

"No, there is. I wanted to tell you that I am here for you Alex. I wanted to tell you that day in the hospital that I wanted to marry you but I just got mad with rage. I went to beat up Gil. Then when I came back you were gone."

"I am here still for support. I am here at least as a friend," he says.

I had such a great guy. I was just too scared to tell him and ashamed.

"Do you understand that?" he asks.

"Yes Ian."

"And do you understand that I still feel so strongly about you?"

"Yes," I cry. "But we cant."

"I know," he says, "but I would like to help you. I want to be like an uncle to this kid."

"It's okay," I lightly smile, "he has Johnny for that. You can be just a great friend to him."

"Fine, I will be his friend. But I will make sure he understands that I am here for him no matter what."

I kiss his cheek, "I am so sorry."

"I don't care."
I need to tell him. He will hate me forever.

I touch his cheek, "I slept with your dad. We were in some sort of relationship. Not anymore though." Then just quietness.