Chapter 10: Hoping

Three weeks later...

I saw Kyle walking for the first time since the fight. I was helping my mom cutting some flowers for decoration. Kyle had a regular white shirt with sweatpants. He was holding Sam's arm for support. Even though he didn't break a leg or hurt his back, his chest might feel some pain when he moves.

As soon as my mom finishes picking out some daises, we go to the kitchen.

"I can't believe in three weeks you are getting married! You are not nervous mija?" mom asks. She is setting the flowers in a white vase for Ian. Today is his birthday.

"No, I just want it to be the day mom." I answer. I get a water bottle and drink away. Kyle suddenly comes in, "Hi Ms. Perez. You wouldn't mind getting me something to eat right?"

Mom smiles, "Of course not, sit down. I am actually making some fish in the oven, is that okay?"

Kyle just nods. He is trying to avoid seeing me. But I can't avoid myself from seeing him. His bruises are gone, and he has his dark brown hair longer. My mom takes the fish out and gives a plate of fish and rice. "Thank you," he says. He looks at me before he eats.

"Okay, well Alex here you go. I think Ian will like your present."

I force myself to go shopping for Ian's present. We haven't argued or talked either. We just hug and kiss when someone is close by. We pretend we are happy and the whole Kyle situation was a misunderstanding.

"Alex, your mom said to go and pick up the present." Kyle says. He looks at me like I'm weird. I hate it when I think; my eyes get big and I have a creepy stare.

"Thanks," I whisper. I get the vase and go to my room. I get the white box with a red bow in front. I breathe in and out slowly and walk to Ian's office.

"Can I come in?" I ask as I knock on his door. I hear him say yes and open the door.

"Okay, that is great Mr. Yang. I call you tomorrow to give you the exact date. Thanks," Ian says before hanging up the phone. He looks at me and tells me to come in.

"My mom created this arrangement of flowers for you. Happy birthday." I say. I put the vase on the desk and give him the present.

"Tell your mom thanks," Ian say. He smells the flowers and lightly smiles. Ian may hate me but he doesn't hate my mom. She helped him a lot with the situation and even at his work. She is a translator for him.

Ian stands to place the vase near the window and sits back down. "You aren't going to open my gift?" I ask. At least open it and hopefully like it. I wasted my own money on that stupid gift.

"I open it later, now leave I have lots of work," he says.

"Okay, whatever, my mom said she is baking you a cake. So can you please come downstairs later?"

He rolls his eyes, "Yes, tell her thank you."

Before I can turn around to leave, the door opens and Richard comes in.

"Happy birthday Ian!" he hugs Ian and kisses him on the cheek. "You are growing way too fast but I know you be one great man."

"Thanks dad," Ian says.

Richard turns to me, "How are you Alex?" I tell him I am good. I just brought Ian his present.

"Oh, what did you get son?" Richard asks Ian.

He is force to open my present.

I smile to see his face sincerely happy. "Oh my! This is so freaking awesome!"