Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I walked into the house quietly, homing that maybe, just maybe, dad would be asleep.

"There you are-" I wince at his nickname for me. Of course, he wasn't asleep. I could never get that lucky. He looked down on me, a smirk planted on his face. I gulped, knowing it would e bad.

"You're late." I was. By a minute. It was just one minute, but that didn't matter. He said he wanted me home by 4:00. It was 4:01. Only a minute, but, to him, that minute is considered an hour.

"I-I'm sorry sir." I whispered, looking down. He picked me up by my jacket, pressing me against the door. I winced as the doorknob pressed deep into a bruise on my back, making him smile. For an alcoholic, he was very clean. His hair was always perfectly slid back, his shirts were clean, (unless he was just around the house) his teeth were always white. He clearly took good care of himself, but no one knew how bad we were treated. If they did, I doubt dad could come close to getting that job.

"What did you say-" he growls. I whimpered.

"I'm sorry sir." He smirks, pulling me up higher. My feet started to look for some type of support, even though they knew there wouldn't be any. I closed my eyes, waiting for the beating to start. And it did, it started with a punch to my side, knocking the wind out of me. The rest of the beating was a blur. All I remember was harsh words and pain. He dropped me to the ground once he was done, laughing at me.

"Pathetic." he spat out at me. I heard the doorbell ring and panic took over my senses. It wasn't mom was it? It couldn't be her. She's not stupid enough to do that. But she was very hardheaded. If she really didn't want me to take this beating, she'd try to find a way to stop it. But her doing that would cause more pain for me. So she wouldn't, would she?

"Move-" I whimpered and crawled out of the way of the door. I quickly moved to a corner, pulling my knees to my chest. It caused a lot of pain, but I ignored it. I saw a woman walk it, but it wasn't mom. She had flowing brawn hair, was very slender and was a pencil skirt with heels and a shirt too small for her. Marley. I glared at her from behind my knees. I hated her. As bad as that was, I did. I've seen mom cry herself to sleep because of her. She still loved dad. But not the new him, the old him. I've always wondered why she didn't divorce him, and there were two main reasons. One of them was that she was too scared. The other one was that she still was holding onto a little thread of hope, hoping that dad would change back to the man that she married. I lost the hope that he would long ago. but she still hasn't. I guess love really is blind.

"Chester baby how are you?" her high pitched voice asked. It made me sick to watch her lay all over dad and giggle at him. I saw her glance over at me then frown.

"Oh. He's here." I hated the way she said "he's". She said it like I was a nuisance. Which, I guess, I was. Dad looked at me.

"Why are you still here? I told you to leave." He didn't. He knew that. But me not leaving gave him a reason to beat me, which he'd gladly take. "Stand up." I bit my lip to keep in my whimper as I stood up, watching him walk toward me with a smirk planted on his lips. He walked to me, his body towering over mine, and lifted me up by my shirt collar, making me grip his arm tightly. He looked back at Marley, still smirking.

"What should I do babe?" I hated that he called her babe. I also hated it that he was asking her for what to do to me. She smile and giggled.

"Whatever baby. Just make it quick." she said, throwing a wink over her shoulder. I looked into his eyes, wanting so bad to the warmth that I could see when I was younger. Of course, it wasn't there. The was just darkness. As it usually was, the beating was a blur. He dropped me to the ground once he was done, laughing. The last thing I remember was seeing a pair of heels come it to my view and a giggle before I blacked out.