Chapter 3

Blinking once then twice, my hand slams down onto my phone just in time for the alarm to go off.

I swipe at the phone for the clamor to stop and just lay there as I have all night, barely catching a wink of sleep.

Five minutes later I hop out of bed and into the shower to get ready for the day to come.

Coming out of the bathroom with my hair air drying, I quickly go over to my wardrobe and scan the outfit that I had picked out the day before which was hanging neatly from the hanger.

Quickly slipping my clothes on, I wear my nude high heels and then go over to my dresser to lightly do my makeup so that it doesn't look like I've been up half the night due to my never ending nerves.

That done and sorted I make myself a quick breakfast with ten minutes to spare.

***

"Excuse me Miss? Miss? We're here".

"Huh?" I mumble unintelligently before comprehending what the cab driver has just said.

I smile at him politely and thank him while I hand over the fare and get out of the car to resume what I had been doing previously.

I gulp at the dauntingly huge tower before placing one foot in front of the other and going through the revolving doors.

Taking in the pristine marble floor and the creme coloured walls I walk past the security checks over to the receptionist whom is situated right in the middle of the lobby behind a desk.

Her blonde hair is pulled up into a neat bun and her red painted lips curl up into a smile as she motions for me to hold on for a minute so she could get off of the phone.

I look around me trying to ignore the prying eyes of the people walking to and fro from the building.

A clearing of the throat snaps my attention to the woman as she asks me what I am here for.

"Um I was called by somebody that  I had an interview with the head of the finance department" I answer somewhat confidently.

"Oh of course, you must be Nora Davis. I have all your files and everything right here. All you have to do is go up to level number fifteen and talk to Candice who's the head receptionist there and she will tell you where to go from there. I'm Natalie by the way".

I smile at her and thank her before heading to the elevator and riding all the way to the fifteenth floor.

Walking out I go over to the women who had a name tag that read Candice.

I repeat the same thing to her as I did to Natalie.

Candice tells me where to go which is the head of the departments office and then tells me the do's and don'ts of how to talk and act in front of him.

She wishes me luck and with that ushers me towards the office.

At least the people here are nice.

I walk towards the door leading to the office before knocking on it.

A soft voice answers from the other end and tells me to come in.

I open the door to see a small looking office with a man around his late fifties with salt and pepper hair sitting behind a desk. Wrinkles line his face as well as laugh lines which over all makes him look friendly.

He smiles up at me before putting his hand out to which I place mine in his.

"Jeff, Jeff Stevens" he says gruffly.