Chapter 12

Hailing a taxi at five in the morning wasn't an easy task.

Not because of the lack of taxi's which was a very rare site in the city of New York but mostly because I can't seem to function whenever the sun is barely peeking over the horizon.

I had to rush to get dressed, taking a five minute shower then throwing my clothes on in a hurry and doing my makeup in a haphazard manner.

To say I looked decent was a long shot.

I had never been to Alexander's house so I was quite nervous.

Why? I didn't even know the answer to that myself.

The scenery was gradually changing from the over crowded and packed streets with huge buildings to a more calmer area where instead of looming apartment buildings there were spacious houses surrounded by green lush gardens.

The further we went into the rich looking neighbourhood the bigger the houses got, now they were more like mansions.

The mansions all looked grand and regal with their separate gates and long driveways.

I even spotted a few with beautiful fountains flowing with water in the front part of the houses.

My eyes widen in astonishment as the car turns into one of the long driveways.

As we pass through the huge, stern black painted gate I can see that Alexander is among one of the few whom has a fountain in his front garden.

It was made out of pure white marble and glistened in the early morning light as the water flowed from one of the many tiers it had down to the ones below in a never ending cycle.

The driver looks back at me and announces that we're here.

I pay him and then get out of the taxi, now gazing up at the mansion before me which was in a clearer view.

Walking over to the door, my palms start to get sweaty as I watch the taxi drive back down the driveway.

Turning back to face the door, I raise my hand and knock onto the wooden door.

Looking at the ornate engravings on the dark brown wooden door, I admire it as I wait.

Sighing out loud I knock on the door, louder this time.

Hearing the sounds of footsteps I straighten myself up, gathering my nerves.

The door opens and I wait for Alexander to announce for me to come in.

Instead the door opens a bit wider and the model like woman I had seen him with last week at his office clinging onto his arm stands at the door in only his shirt, with a few buttons undone showing part of her chest.

For some reason as I looked at her I felt a sharp pain in my chest.

I inwardly cringed.

Maybe I had indigestion?

"Who the hell are you?" she snaps at me not even bothering to cover up.

And here I was trying to be nice.

The door opens wider as a tired looking Alexander appears at the doorway.

"Oh Nora you're here" he says surprised.

No shit I snap back in my head.

This is why I don't wake up so early. I get unjustly cranky.

I just stand there looking up at him not bothering to say anything.

"Sierra you can leave now" he says without looking at her.

Sierra's face scrunches up in annoyance as she answers back "it's Sarah".