Chapter 34

AN: *Disclaimer* some of you might be uncomfortable with the scene (i.e. The flashback/dream which is in italics).

Nora Davis P. O. V

Typing away at my computer, I try to rush but also remain efficient on the task at hand.

Glancing up at the clock I see an hour and a half has already gone by.

Barely anybody was here at the moment except for Martha, luckily  for her as I'm assuming she is just finishing up.

True to my words she grabs her handbag while she shuts off the computer at her desk.

Smiling down at me, she bids me a goodbye as I do to her.

I watch as she quickly goes over to the elevators, wisps of her dyed hair falling out of her neat updo.

Must be in a hurry to get out of here.

Blowing air through my lips, I once again try to avert my attention to the task at hand and not on the fact that I was the only one on the entire floor now.

Another half hour goes by but I am nowhere done.

Maybe I should head home and come back early in the morning tomorrow.

Just as I decide to do just that, the telephone rings and the red light beams, showing me that someone from the office is calling.

"Hello?" I voice out.

"Nora darling, could you please come in here for a moment. I want to talk to you." Sam's cheerful voice ushers from the other end of the line, bringing a smile to my face.

"Sure thing, I'll be in there in just a minute." I voice out.

"Great."

Putting the phone down, I start to turn my computer and everything off and place my phone and other essential things back into my handbag.

Once everything is done, I leave my handbag at my table and head to Sam's office.

Knocking lightly on the door, his voice calls out a "come in."

Entering, I notice him standing against his desk, legs crossed at the ankles, beaming at me.

I close the door and walk to him as he holds his hand out to me.

I considered Sam a friend of mine, albeit we were not very close as he always tried to misinterpret my actions but if we look past all that, I could see us becoming firm friends.

"Darling you've hurt me?" He says teasingly, "I'm wounded."

Not stepping too close to him, I smile.

"And why is that Mr. Jenkins?"

"Oh enough with the formalities darling. You can call me Sam even in the workplace."

I nod my head.

"So why is that Sam?" I rephrase my question.

"Because no matter what, you still manage to elude me." He seems almost annoyed at the prospect.

Sam reaches out and grabs my hand, slamming me to him.

"Come on Sam, you know it's not like that." I say as I try to get out of his hold.

Sam always used to be handsy and flirty but this time he looked serious and like he was on a mission of sorts.

That didn't sit well with me.