26. Memory Lane

So I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm sure.
There's no need to complicate.
Our time is short.
This is our fate,
I'm yours.  

~ Jason Mraz 

Chapter twenty six.  Memory Lane

"Do you think the baby will come out as a ninja turtle?" Johnny asked me, nonchalantly as he continued to watch the boring football game that was on.

"What?" I spluttered out, totally confused by Johnny's question.

"If the baby come out as a turtle, that'll be so f*cking awesome!"

He sounded like a little kid, who had just found out that a new toy car was coming out in a toy store.

"Er I guess..." I answered, totally unsure and baffled about the whole conversation.

Why the hell did Leo have to leave me with a nut case like Johnny for?!

I shifted my position on the couch and stared at him incredulously. For some reason my couch no longer felt comfortable and it was probably because of the pregnancy that I was feeling more uncomfortable, every day.

A few weeks had passed since April, Lia and I had started to plan April's wedding. We still had a ton of stuff left to plan but I was in no position to go through that type of stress all over again, especially with a bride to be like April.

April was a perfectionist, everything had to be right or she wouldn't be happy. In a way I felt sorry for Don because April was one of those girls that liked to have a schedule and everything planned out in her life. She probably even had baby names planned out, whereas I had no idea what Leo and I were going to call our unborn baby..

Everyday, Leo went to work, even on the weekends. Sometimes he would have the odd Saturday or Sunday off, but most of the time he was working.

Thankfully, I was never alone. April or Lia would usually come and keep me company, but mostly I had Johnny with me. Being around Johnny so much was interesting... since he mostly talked about random crap and made weird jokes that made me question his sanity.

I sighed heavily, for what seemed like the tenth time in the space of one hour, and shifted my position on the couch attempting to get comfortable.

"Stop moving so much Leah!" Johnny yelled out, he was seated on the other couch near me, and for some reason he looked perfectly comfortable.

"I cant help it," I groaned, my frustration getting the best of me.

Suddenly, Johhny paused the TV, and looked at me with pity.

"What's wrong Leah-"

"I'm not comfortable, my back is aching which makes no sense because I've still got three or four months left until the baby comes-"

I stopped talking, when Johnny stood up and walked over to me. He took my hand in his and pulled me off the sofa, gently.

I stood next to Johnny, awkwardly as he puffed up the cushions on the sofa. I watched as he rearranged each cushion, probably trying to make the couch more comfortable for me.

Johnny stopped rearranging the cushions and pulled something out of a gap in the couch.

It was a little box... a box that only one person in this house was familiar with. My eyes widened at the sight of the cigarette box.

"Does Leo smoke in the house?" Johnny asked me, with a raised eyebrow.

I didn't say anything.

"I may not know a lot of things Leah, but I'm sure he's not supposed to smoke around you, especially because you're pregnant," Johnny stated. His voice was firm and icy, it even scared me.