46. Second Chances

But you'll never be alone
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here
I'll hold you when things go wrong
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here

~ ZAYN & SIA

—————-

Grabbing the water bottle from the small table, I unscrewed the lid and raised the bottle to my lips, quickly realising that there was nothing in the bottle. I groaned internally and stood up to throw the bottle in the trash.

I hadn't left Leo's private hospital room for three days, he had been in the hospital for a total of eight and he still laid asleep, connected to a range of different machines. His body had shown the progress of healing and today was the day, that the doctors had decided to unhook him from the ventilator and also to induce him out of the coma. There was still no telling with his body would have any further damage mentally but only time would tell.

I sighed heavily, walking over to Luca where he laid in his stroller, fast asleep, clutching onto a soft toy. His dark hair had grown slightly longer, curling at his forehead. I wasn't sure why I had only noticed the growth of his hair, or as to why I was so interested in it. I glanced at the clock on the boring white wall, it was only two in the afternoon, Luca had been fed and changed and his naptime would last for another hour; until I had to wake him up. It was hard to get him back in a routine considering all that had happened, but I needed some sort of normality in my life; even if I wasn't in the comfort of my own home.

The doctors disapproved of me staying here with Luca, but it wasn't like I had been here for the full eight days straight. I would stay for two to three days, then go back home for a day and then return back to Leo. The doctors didn't seem to understand that I needed to stay with Leo. If I was in his position, he would do exactly the same for me, he would never dare to leave my side.

I just couldn't wait until the day when Leo and I were finally happy and that there would be no issues or problems in our life. I longed for the day where we could sit in our back garden, enjoying the beautiful sun whilst we watched our son grow up. That was all I wanted, to have a healthy and happy life with Leo and Luca. Who knew, maybe we would even have more children when the time came.

I was in need of a drink, and the only place that I could get a drink from was a vending machine or the cafeteria. Since I had become a sort of resident at the hospital, I was regularly in the cafeteria or near a vending machine; only when In was certain that nothing would happen to Leo. I had only been there once today when I had decided to get a little something for breakfast. I knew that I needed to eat; so I could keep producing milk for Luca but I just couldn't stomach meals. They tasted bland in my mouth, and that wasn't because it was hospital food, but because I had no taste. Food didn't appeal to me as it would've before.

Pushing Luca in his stroller, I decided to make my way to the nearest vending machine. I had some loose change on me so I was able to get a few snacks and drinks, but I knew I wouldn't even attempt to eat them unless my body screamed at me for food.

"That's a very cute baby," I heard someone say, I jumped slightly at the sound of the unfamiliar voice. I turned my head and saw a woman with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. She seemed about in her thirties and she smiled at me pleasantly, and slowly took in my appearance. Her eyes zeroed in on my busted lip and bruised face. The bruises were still a dark colour, but within no time they would soon heal. I knew I didn't look my best; I barely slept at night and I had been in the same clothes for two days, grey leggings and an off the shoulder black jumper. The clothes were slightly big on me, but I didn't care I needed comfort over style. My hair was down, falling in messy curls and waves; I wasn't even surprised if it looked like a five-year-old had tried to play hairdressers.