I've Got What I Wanted. Part 16

Hey :) So you've heard about the lateness before and the excuses, since they're the same as last time as it's still a school month, I'll shave you from them :) If you can't remember, go back a chapter :D But, I'm sure (I think) that you'll like this chapter. 
So Please leave a Comment, Vote and Become a Fan.It means a lot :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I ran into the hospital to the confusion of some of the people in the waiting area at reception. I ran up to the welcome desk out of breath. The woman behind the desk looked at me confused. “My girlfriend was brought in here about an hour and a half ago. Riley Spence, she was in a car accident. Where is she?” She looked at the computer and started typing.

“She’s in the Henderson ward. If you go down that corridor and go right you’ll come to the elevator and some stairs. You’ll want to go to the third floor and reception up there will tell you what room she is in.” I nodded as she looked back up to me.

“Thank you,” I thanked before running off again. I followed the womans directions, and took two steps at a time. When I saw the number three painted on the wall, I burst through the doors. I slowed down as I tried finding the reception desk. Why are these things so hard to find? Once I found it, I waited for the person in front of me to leave. 

"Yes?" The old woman said to me when I got to the desk. 

"Can you tell me where Riley Spence is please? She was brought in around an hour and a half ago." I explained slightly out of breath. 

"Are you family?" She asked typing on her computer. 

"She's my fiancée," she nodded, still typing on her computer. 

"She's in surgery at the moment." Oh God I really feel sick right now. "If you could just sit over there I'll have the nurse come and speak to you." I nodded and walked over to the seats. I sat down, immediately letting out a long breath. 

I can't believe what's happened to Riley. She's eighteen and she's been in a car accident. And she's in surgery. She shouldn't be going through this. And she's just finished her exams as well. I didn't even text her to ask how it went. I can't believe I was ignoring her over something so stupid. I knew she still loved me. I guess I said some things in the heat of the moment that I didn't mean. But she still lied to me. I bet this is some way that I'm being punished for treating Riley like dirt. 

"Are you here for Riley Spence?" I looked up and saw a middle aged woman standing in front of me. I nodded and she sat down beside me. 

"Is she okay?" I asked turning to face her. 

"The doctor will be here shortly to tell you. I'm not sure seeing as am not in theatre, but they're finishing up so they should be out in half an hour." I nodded, feeling slightly relieved she was going to be out soon. "So when she came in she had a broken arm and a broken rib. The broken rib punctured her lung and caused it to collapse. That's all that I'm aware of, they may have found other injuries." I nodded swallowing a lump in my throat. Don't cry, you're a grown man, I told myself. "The police have been in contact and would like to speak with your fiancée. But they won't be in tomorrow as she's unlikely to be awake today." I closed my eyes, running my fingers through my hair. "I need to go but the doctor will come see you when they are out of surgery." I looked up to see her standing up. 

"Thank you," she smiled before walking away. I groaned, dropping my head in my hands. I don’t know what I’d do without Riley. She was everything to me. I pushed myself up and went to find a smoking balcony or something. I need to phone Riley’s mother.

Once I had found a balcony I pulled out my phone. As I waited for it to turn on, I leant against the railings, looking over the city. I still can’t wrap my head around that Riley was in a car accident. It just doesn’t seem real. I scrolled though my contacts until I found Sam’s number. I hit call, took a deep breath and put the phone to my ear. How am I meant to tell her that her daughter is in hospital because of a car crash? And I don’t have anything to tell her because I don’t know. “Hello?” She said breaking my train of thought.

“Hey it’s Caleb,” I replied to her.

“Oh hey,” she said with a laugh. “I haven’t spoken to you in a while. How is everything?” I let out a breath and closed my eyes.

“That’s what I’m phoning about actually Sam.” I trailed off, but when she didn’t say anything I continued. “It’s Riley, she’s in hospital.”

"What?" She said in a panic tone. 

"She was in a car crash. She's still in theatre but she'll be out soon. I just wanted to let you know." I turned around, leaning my back against the balcony. 

"I've got no car so I'll phone Greg and I should be over soon." I could hear the movement as she got ready to come here. I looked through the window and saw a man in scrubs walk up to reception. 

"Sam I have to go," I said walking towards the door. "I'll see you when you get here." Before she could say anything I hung up. I walked over to the desk and the old woman nodded towards me. The man looked at me as I stopped beside him. 

"Mr Baker?" He asked, turning to face me fully. 

"Yeah," he nodded and held his hand out for me. I shook his hand, waiting for him to tell me what happened. 

"I'm Dr Robinson I'm the doctor in charge of your fiancée. I've not got time to explain things to you right now; I've got another surgery I have to run off to perform. But I can take you to her room." I nodded and followed him down the corridor. 

"Is she okay?" I asked the obvious question. 

"She's okay for now. We just need to monitor her for now. I'll explain in more detail when I come back." He went into a room, and expecting to see Riley, I took a deep breath. When I didn't she her, I let it out but was really confused. "The nurses are bringing her down now, she should be here soon. The operation I’m on my way to will not take long so I'll be back in about an hour." I nodded as I walked further into the room. "I know this may be hard, but don't worry too much. She's young, surviving this long would be hard enough. If everything goes as we plan tonight and tomorrow, she should be fine." He finished just as his pager went off. "I'm sorry I really need to go. I'll be back in an hour."

"Thanks," he smiled before leaving the room. I let out a breath, walking over to the chair. I sat down, closing my eyes and throwing my head back on the chair. 

I should have driven her to Uni. I was meant to drive her actually. But then I had a go at her for no reason at all. I should have at least talked to her about it instead of jumping to conclusions. And I bet all of my money that I've gotten it wrong. But if I wasn't such an idiot, this probably wouldn't have happened. If I just dropped her off and picked her up at lunch instead of being a complete idiot, I wouldn't have to come here to see her. This is basically my fault, whatever way you look at it. It was my fault. 

I snapped my head up when I heard the door open. I watched as the nurses wheeled in the bed. I felt the lump in my throat grow as I watched Riley on the bed. She was just laying their unconscious. Not moving at all. Her left arm was in a cast, and had wires all over her. And there was bandage around her head. Seriously, an eighteen year old should not be going through this. 

I moved to the edge of my seat as they connected her up to the machines. "I'm assuming you've spoken to Dr Robinson?" I looked up to one of the nurses. 

"Yeah a few minutes ago," she nodded while checking over the clipboard at the end of the bed. 

"Everything is okay for now. But I'm sure Dr Robinson will explain everything to you." I watched as she wrote on the clipboard. "So you're okay to sit in here." She looked over and smiled at me. 

"How many people would be allowed in here? It's just her mum and dad will probably want to see her." She let out a breath, putting the clipboard back on the end of the bed. 

"For now you and her parents will be okay. But only for a maximum of an hour. After that only one person can be here." I nodded, while she turned to face me. "Dr Robinson has spoken to all the nurses working the night shift, and they all know that you can stay here for as long you like. No one is going to ask you to leave."

"Thank you," I said with a smile. 

"If you need anything, the nurses’ station is just down the corridor." She informed me walking towards the door. 

"Thanks," I said again. She nodded and left the room, quietly shutting the door behind her.

I turned to Riley and the pain in my heart grew. I feel so helpless sitting here. There’s nothing I can do to help her. I promised her that I would always look after her. How can I do that when I can’t help her when she’s at her weakest? I know she’s the one lying there, but I really wish she’d wake up and give me a hug. I wish she had given me a hug before I left for work instead of me snapping at her. I’m just a complete idiot.