Chapter One Page One

{Nadine's POV}

I looked up and my eyes caught his. I would have laughed at the image he painted, dashing in his bespoke suit and as handsome as ever, wiping his tears like a kid, if I wasn't feeling as emotional myself. I didn't feel like walking the last few steps towards him, because it was more like floating. I didn't even notice my parents beside me, until he kissed my mom's cheeks and my dad hugged him and gave him a pat in the back. And then it was time to face the music.

You look...wow. He seemed at a loss for words. Another tear escaped and we both laughed.

Sorry.

The pastor called our attention and the ceremony started.

A wise man once said: Marriage is hard work. It's a choice. It's a song. It's a dance. And like everything else that you want to perfect, you practice. Practice being vulnerable together. Practice seeing each other for who you really are. Practice holding hands and hearing one another when you fight. Because you're going to fight - and you're going to fight a lot. Never sleep feeling pissed off or heartbroken. Fight until you've resolved things. Don't feel bad about fights. Because as long as you have a fight in you, then there's something worth fighting for, worth loving, worth holding on to. Practice being quiet with one another. Practice having fun and adventures together. Practice and practice. And once you've discovered the secret to a long and lasting marriage? Do let us know; coz we want to find out too. (The pastor winked and everyone laughed) I believe you have written your own vows?

Yes. We turned to face each other. Hi. Everybody laughed along with us. I never thought I'd get this second chance with you. When you left, you took away a part of my heart and it has been an empty space since then. Nobody else can fill it except for you. Just the sight of you gives me that feeling of wholeness. Thank you for coming back and letting me in. Hitch said that "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away". And if I were to measure my life right now, it will be up to here. He makes a gesture of his hand being taller than him. Ever since I've met you, I have experienced the most breathtaking moments in my life. I love you with all of me and I hope that I get to love you with all that's left in me and in all of my days. I promise to be your best friend especially when you don't feel like being my wife. I promise to cherish and protect you with all that I am. I promise you forever and a day as long as God wills it. But above all, I promise you myself. Today, I give you not just my last name but something I can never take back no matter where life takes us: an entire half of me. I love you my best friend, my confidante and now my ex-girlfriend. I am completely and irrevocably in love with you. Today, I give you this ring as a sign of that love and the promises I have made, but most importantly, so that you will be reminded every day that you'll be wearing it that you are mine in a way that I am yours.

I had to wipe my tears and swallow before I can say my piece.