Chapter Eight Page One

{Paulo’s POV}

I woke up from my phone vibrating at my side. I would have gone back to sleep if I didn’t feel the crick of my neck. I was about to turn when I felt Nadine’s fingers slipping from my hold.

That’s when I looked down, only to find a pair of hazel brown eyes looking at me.

Hey, buddy. How long have you been awake? I asked Reese in an almost whisper. He was sitting on the mattress, both of his fists clenched on Nadine and James’ shirt.

De-de. His pout tells me he’s been trying to wake his parents up.

I look at the clock and decided to rise up. It’s only a few minutes until 4am anyway. I scooped Reese up and prepared his milk. I decided to start making breakfast as well, I’m sure Len will skip breakfast just to make it in time.

I was about to put Reese back on the mattress but Nadine probably moved in her sleep; her head’s now lying on James’ shoulder. I searched my feelings. It wasn’t a pleasing sight, but it’s not like Nadine and James were awake.

I looked at Reese. You wanna go back to sleep buddy?

He just shook his head no. Then he goes back to sucking his milk.

Remembering how Nadine doesn’t like forcing sleep on Reese, I just tucked him securely in the baby seat while I get the coffee bean roasting.

I worked on frying the eggs, bacon, and ham while looking over my shoulder at Reese every few minutes.

Something smells really good. Yassi enters the kitchen, yawning and stretching her arms.

Tulog pa sila?

I think so. Morning baby. She kisses Reese then goes straight for the coffeemaker.

Look after Reese, I’ll just wake up the others. The sight of James and Nadine entwined while sleeping stopped me on my tracks.

The doorbell rang, snapping me into the present. I opened the door to Len.

Oh good, you got Yassi’s stuff. Ano’ng balita don?

Nakakaloka! Well, wala pa naman pictures na nagcicirculate pero ang daming hanash, mga mema lang tapos-
Len stopped midsentence, his eyes focusing on the scene in the living room. Then he directed a silent question to me, wide-eyed.

Tara sa kitchen, baka magising sila. I grabbed Yassi’s duffel bag from him, avoiding his stares.

Yay! You got my things! Thanks Len! Yassi’s jubilant mood took Len’s attention for a while.

They chatted for a bit about random stuff while I set the table.

Hey…morning. Nadine came into the dining area while stretching her arms.

Morning. I gave her a kiss then turned back into setting the plates.

Hi, baby. Did you get him?
She asked Yassi while she gets two coffee mugs from the shelf.

Nope, Paulo did. Then Yassi launches into another chatfest with Len.

Thanks, hon. Nag-coffee ka na?

Not yet. Gisingin ko lang yung boys. Avoiding her eyes.

We started eating once everyone settles on the table. Nadine handed coffee to me and James while I prepared a freshly squeezed orange juice for her at the last minute.

So what’s the plan today? Andre started the conversation.