Chapter Ten Page Two

{Nadine's POV}

I had to laugh at that. Trust the guys to find a reason to party. I tried to disregard the part about Nath and focused on the party suggestion. We’re talking party… as in… party with booze? Loud music? At the pool? Yeah?

Well… you know. He smiled sheepishly.

Reese is a kid, James.

That’s why I didn’t say yes instantly. I told them I’d talk to you about it first.

We were quiet for a while. I played with the idea inside my head. Yeah, I think we can work something out. My voice non committal. Sinu-sino yung invited?

Uhm… the entire squad I guess?

Hmmmm. I wanted to ask him about his falling apart with his best friends. Yassi mentioned it in passing once when we were still in Japan.

You wanted to know why I wasn’t talking to them, don’t you? James stated casually.

My head turned, shocked. I was about to respond to him but he beats me to it.

Shit. Creepy that I can still read your mind after all this time?

Uhh…yeah. Haha. I had nothing to say after that. Still a little baffled by how easily he can tell what was inside my head.

So… are you going to ask? His eyes still focused on the road.

Are you going to give me an honest answer?

He sighed. I didn’t want any attachments after what happened to us. They kept asking how I was. And I didn’t want to talk about it. At least not with them. So I started begging off on the outings where there’d be just the four of us or there’s just me left with any one of them.

Why? I asked in a quiet voice.

Because I knew I was going to cry. He looked at me then. Sam, Ivan, Bret – they were the only ones who can see right through me; through the lies, through every “I’m fine”. My siblings respected my silence; they know they couldn’t get through once I’ve put up my walls. And it would just piss the hell out of me if they tried. But with the guys, it wasn’t that easy.

Did you?

What?

Cry?

Let’s not talk about that.

Right. The silence that filled the confines of the car was a little tense. It was convenient for him to talk about things that wouldn’t touch on the subject of emotions. I can see that. So I stayed quiet until we reach the driveway.

I carried Reese while James gets our things from the trunk. Even before we reached the front porch, Naomi came barreling out the door going straight for James.

Woah! Hey, you. Sino kasama mo? He dropped the bags and reached down to lift Mimi up his shoulders.

James, she’s heavy.

Nope. She’s fine. Jack! Jack came out the door followed by Clarky.

What?

Get the bags inside please.

I set Reese down on the sofa beside Daddy Malcolm.
Hey, dad.
Kissing him on the cheek.

Did Reese give you guys a hard time at work? By the way, your mom’s in the kitchen with Lauren.