Chapter Ten Page Three

{Nadine's POV}

No, dad. He mostly played with the staff. I’ll just go to the kitchen.

James and Mimi bantering about some cartoons entered the doorway just as I turned to the kitchen.

Oh, ma. Napadaan ka? I kissed and hugged her in greeting. Lauren was helping her set the table.

Miss na namin kayo ni Reese. Tsaka dumating yung package mo sa bahay galling kina Jhelo at Zach.

Kimchi!!! Lauren was smiling from ear to ear.

Where? James came through without Mimi.

San si mimi?

Reese woke up. She’s playing with him and Jack. Did I hear kimchi? He walked towards my mom and kissed her cheeks. Hi, ma.

Nasa ref na, James. You look tired. Puro ka yata work.

Hindi po. I often wake up in the middle of the night to feed Reese.

Sa’yo natutulog si Reese? Ikaw ang assign sa gabi? My mom looks utterly confused.

Uhm…we all sleep together. So we kind of take turns. James looked apologetic. I should probably call them for dinner. Then he bolted out the door.

Nadine?

Let’s talk about that later, ma.

Dinner was a little awkward what with my mom stealing glances at me and James as we alternate on feeding Reese. Lauren, who seemed to have caught on the tension in the air, tried to make small talk.

The minute we finished eating, I volunteered cleaning up as I kick Lauren under the table. Thank God for small mercies and she got the message loud and clear. My mom ended up on Reese watch with Daddy Malcom and Mimi and Jack.

Tita My giving you the third degree?
Lauren asked while we wash the dishes.

Yeah.

Can’t really blame her.

My head turned in her direction. I didn’t expect that.
Really?

She looked at me, quiet for a few beats. Then in a serious tone,

James is my brother. And you’re my sister-in-law. And I want nothing more in the world than for you to be a real family again. But more that that, you’re my soul sister and I want you happy. And this whole thing? She motions around us. It’s too complicated. I’m afraid you’ll both find yourselves more scarred than you guys are now.