Chapter Nine Page One

{James’ POV}

The sky couldn’t be any clearer. Maybe this is what we actually need: A time away from all that’s been happening. Great view, the calming sound of the waves hitting the shores, very limited number of people who would bother us in our private time, and uninterrupted quality time with Reese.

Caryl booked an entire villa for us. We’re crossing our fingers for when Reese finally agrees to sleep with Yassi and Nadine so we decided to put our things in different bedrooms. Reese slept through the trip.

The moment we reached our destination though, he woke up and was more excited than all of us. He kept tugging Nadine towards the shore mumbling “wotah” over and over again.

We changed into swimming clothes. When I got out of the room, the girls and Reese are nowhere to be seen while Dre was fixing his camera gear at the balcony.

Hey, man. Where are the girls?

Nasa beach na. Reese couldn’t contain his excitement eh.

He likes beaches talaga?

Well, hindi naman kami nag-beach sa Japan eh haha. Pero he loves it pag may pool. Like a fish in the water.
I smiled at that.
Told you he was more like you.

Dre finished fixing his gear and we walked towards the shore. While Andre ran towards them, I was stopped on my tracks by the sight of Nadine and Reese.

Nadine was lying flat on the sand, her knees bent; while Reese sits on her stomach, his hands fisting what appears to be a chunk of wet sand. And they were laughing. Hearty laughs that can be heard from where I was standing. Andre beckoned me to come near them.

Reese looked up the minute I reached Yassi’s side. He gives me a toothed grin and showed me his hands.

Pa-pa, play?

When I glanced at Nadine, she looked encouraging. I sat next to her, just in time to catch Reese who flung himself towards me. Nadine sat up, trying to get rid of the sand on her back and failing.

She stood up and ran towards the water. I played with Reese and tried to make a sandcastle; but all we ever accomplished was what looked like a mountain of damp sand. I was momentarily distracted by Nadine rising up from the water and gliding towards us. Reese throwing chunks of sand on random direction took my attention.

Soon, we were joined by Nadz and the three of us are raining sand all over each other. We swam for a little while. Actually, I was carrying Reese so it was more of I dipped in the water with Reese while Nadine swam to get rid of the sand on her.

By lunchtime, Reese could barely open his eyes. About three spoonfuls and he’s already travelling to dreamland. Once we’ve set him down by the daybed where everyone can see him, we sat down by the balcony overlooking the seascape; a platter of fruits on the table.

Malapit na birthday mo girl. What’s the plan this year? Yassi asked.

Wala pa eh.

What did you do last year? My curiosity getting the better of me.

We attended a costume party. Nadine looking uneasy.
A children’s costume party.

Yassi’s laugh was contagious.
Yeah, and we didn’t realize it was a kid’s party instantly. We thought it was like a family event and everyone would be dressing up.
It was hilarious. We were the only adults dressed up for Halloween.

Do you remember when Quinito made that kid cry because he wanted to hoard the marshmallows for Reese? Andre soon realized what he said and stopped laughing; all of us looking at him. Uhh…sorry.

No, do tell. He was with you?