Chapter Twelve Page Three

{James' POV}

Reese was trying to grab me the moment he spotted me so I handed the cake over to Paulo. The crowd singing happy birthday around us.

Seriously? Nadine mouthed before blowing the cake.

Surprised? I asked her as she kissed Reese.

Not really. I knew you guys were up to something. Beaming, she kissed me on the cheek. Thanks.

Then she turned to Paulo and gave him a smack on the lips. Which shouldn’t have bothered me. But it did.

Hey, baby. Nath’s voice near the back of my ear. I turned in time for her kiss.

Hey. I thought you weren’t coming.

Trying to hide my shock at seeing her.

Well, I wanna meet the little guy, so… Her cat costume totally suits her. She turned to Nadine and Paulo who were looking at us. Happy birthday Nadine.

Thanks, Nath. She smiled and leaned to give Nath a kiss on the cheek.

Then without anything else to say, we all stood there in silence. It couldn’t have been more awkward.

Ohhhhkay! Let’s welcome Reese to the squad! Yassi’s loud voice rang and broke the tension.
Everyone! Meet Robert Alexis Reid - the youngest and most adorable member of Strength and Guidance!

Hear! Hear! To which everyone toasted their drinks. Lauren brought in another cake for Reese to blow.

We all laughed when his face scrunched up in concentration. He tried to blow the candles three times until we heard him huff in frustration. So Nadine and I leaned on his sides to help him blow the cake. After the loud cheer and applause from our friends, the three of us were enveloped in a group hug. My friends took turns kissing Reese. Yassi got a hold of him and took him around the room. Nadine on their heels while Paulo and Aki went to get food.

Thank God he’s in a playful mood today. I breathed a sigh of relief then turned to Nath and wrapped my arms around her. You want something else to drink? I glanced down at her almost empty glass.

Nah, I’m good. Her eyes scrutinizing my face.

What? Is something on my face?

No. No. I just… I’ve never seen you so happy and contented.

Huh?  I pulled away from her. Then I felt Nadine’s eyes from across the room, sending me the good old message. Hey baby, I need to go. Nadine needs help with Reese.

What? But she didn’t call for you. Nath’s confusion written all over her face.

Yeah. She didn’t have to. That was her ‘Reese pooped, I need you’ look on her face. Go grab something to eat, I’ll find you later. I gave her a smack on the lips then turned around without waiting for her reply.

I walked towards Yassi and Nadine and grabbed Reese. I got it.

Sure ka? Sorry ha? Nadine looking apologetic, her arms carrying a tray of wine glasses.

No, it’s okay. It’s your party. Go mingle. You should ask for manang. Wag ka na mag-serve ng food. Let the help do it. Then I went upstairs with Reese.

When we returned to the party, I scanned the room for Nath. Sam sidled up to me, a bottle of beer in his hand.

She left.

What? When? Reese squirms in my arms, trying to grab a hold of Sam’s bottle.

A few minutes after you went upstairs. His eyes carefully studying my face while he transfers the bottle to his other hand to avoid Reese’s hands.

Sh-shoot! Remembering Reese in my arms.

Is it? He smirked. Then he passed the bottle to me and took Reese with him. He looked him in the eye and as if Reese is a grown up, he talked to him.

You changed the game buddy. Reese grabbed for his nose. Then he walked away laughing, Reese still in his arms.

And I realized, without a doubt, Sam couldn’t be more right.