Chapter Two Page One

I woke up with a start. I find myself covered in sweat, my legs tangled up with the sheets. I checked the smaller bed beside mine and found Reese still sleeping soundly. I couldn’t go back to sleep. Not after that dream. I sought the water bottle on my bedside and poured myself a glass. I gulped twice only to find myself still cramped with nerves. I needed a stronger drink.

I didn’t bother putting on slippers and switching the lights on when I went down the kitchen. I rummaged through the refrigerator and found a half filled bottle of white wine. This will have to do. I didn’t even bother finding a wine glass and just drank straight from the bottle. After two gulps, I heaved a sigh of relief.

Thirsty much? A voice sounded from behind me.

It startled me that I hadn’t realized I let go of the wine bottle. The sound of it crashing on the floor snapping me back.

What the hell?! James jumped from the bar stool he was perched in and walked right in front of me, assessing me from head to toe. Are you alright? Did you hurt yourself?

Huh?!

Wait. Don’t move. I’ll get this cleaned up. He lifted me up and set me up on top of the kitchen table. Then he looked for the broom and started sweeping the floor. What were you thinking?! You could have hurt yourself.
His voice grating my nerves.

Bakit ka ba kasi nanggugulat? Hindi ka man lang nagbubukas ng ilaw!

Oh, now it’s my fault? My kitchen, Naddie. I can do whatever the hell I want. Besides, I’ve been here long enough. It’s not like I was making a conscious effort to stay quiet. You would’ve noticed me if you weren’t out of it. What‘s gotten you all knotted up anyway?

Nothing, okay. I jumped on my feet so fast I didn’t even bother checking the floor for glass shards. Ouch!

Shit! I told you not to move! He forced me back on the table and inspected my bleeding toe. The cut’s not that big. Stay here. He catches my eye. I’m warning you this time.

I heard him rummaging the bureau for the first aid kit. He got back quickly, cleaning the blood and wrapping my toe in small gauze. All the while, I try to look away. I don’t like seeing the blood.

Here, all fixed up.