Chapter Five Page One

{Paulo’s POV}

I enveloped her in a warm hug and I’ve never felt more at ease. I filled my lungs with her scent. We talk all the time but it doesn’t even come close to seeing her in the flesh.

Naks! Somebody missed me. I teased her.

You have no idea. Then she gave me a smack on the lips.

Oy oy! Sobra kayo sa single!

Single ka ba? I teased Yassi. With my arms wrapped around Nadine’s waist, I guided her back to the sofa.

Single today! Bakit ba!

Kumain ka na? Nadine asked. You want me to get you food?

Nah, I’m good. Pinakain ako ng mama ni Len before ako umalis sa kanila. Kamusta? What were you guys doing?

She sneaked in a sideways glance at Yassi. Knowing her well enough, I’d say she’s hiding something.

Wait. Were you telling her the sordid details of the last time you cheated on me? I meant only to tease her but a bit of guilt crossed her face.

Uhhh…I better leave you guys to it. I’ll be in my room. Facetime lang kami ni Dre. Yassi started walking away.

Uso pa ba ang facetime sex? I teased her.

Sira! Hahaha

The sound of her door closing prompted my eyes to look at Nadine.

Well? Care to share?

Wala yun. She chewed on her lip and started picking on her nails. I just told her about how James came to sleep with Reese and me last night.

And? How did that make you feel? Were you uncomfortable? Hindi ka ba nakatulog? Did he make any moves on you? Hindi ka ba nya pinatulog? My eyes crinkled in amusement. I wanted to make her feel at ease. What she told me last night made me think things through. But it’s not something I’d like for her to worry about.

How are you so relaxed about this? Parang you’re so mature in dealing with all of it that it makes me feel so bad. Hindi ka nagseselos? Or nag-iisip ng masama samin?

I searched her eyes. May reason ba para mag-doubt ako? Do you still feel something for him? I honestly don’t want to hear her answer to that.

Wala. Wala na okay? Her eyes sought mine.

How about me? Are you sure about what you feel about me by now?

Yes. She says with conviction. I’m pretty sure I love you back. And I know she’s telling the truth. I can feel it. But I know in my heart it doesn’t even come close to what I feel for her.

Then there’s your answer. We’ve both gone through a lot, honey. We’ve been through failed relationships and we have our kids to prove it. I trust you. And if you say you love me, then that’s all the assurance I need, okay? In the few months we’ve been together, communication played the biggest role. I trust her. I really do. But I sense the difference between the Nadine in love with James and the Nadine who professes her love for me now. Maybe it’s the maturity. Maybe one can never have the same kind of love. But it’s there. It’s a difference that we can’t ignore. For right now though, I’m okay with whatever kind of affection she can offer me.

Nakakainis ka! Her lovely pout spurred me into action. I cupped her face and gave her a quick kiss.

Ang cute mo mainis. Hahaha. So? How have you been?

Parang hindi tayo magkausap araw araw ah! She nudged. Kwentuhan mo’ko, she laid her head on my shoulder as we settle into the sofa. More than anything, being with her is like being with a female best friend.

Wala akong ikkwento haha puro work. School. Speaking of school, I have to report to school every other day now.

Oh? Bakit? Kala ko okay lang na once or twice a week? Tapos online na lang lahat?

I need to get my papers sorted out para makahabol ako sa graduation. I’m actually working with another student para sa finals project. She’s writing the script para sa short film na gagawin ko.

Oooh. A girl? Is she hot? She playfully raised her eyebrows.

Uh-uh.

Di nga? She turns her face to me.