Epilogue

The screen opens up to a scene of me wearing school uniform, looking up at the buildings around; a map of the school in my hand.

"Sa lahat naman ng kaengot-engotan, Tricia, why do you have to be here? Sino ba kasing stupid ang nagtayo ng eskuwelahang ito na kailangang paglayu-layuin ang mga buildings?"

"Excuse me, nawawala ka ba?" James walking up next to me.

We watched in silence. Laughed at the comedic parts. And cried. I think it was the most I have cried in a film – both as an actress and as an audience. As the movie wraps up, James linked his fingers with mine.

"Will you wear this ring?"

"I still have your ring"

"I know. But that's from the past. Where you promised to wait for me. This one is for me promising to wait for you"

"Wait for me to what?"

"To be ready to marry me"

"Sira. How about tomorrow? Like I've been waiting forever"

"Thank you"

The screen shows James putting a diamond ring on my finger. That wasn't a prop. It was actually my real ring – the first engagement ring he gave me. The end credits started rolling in just in time for more of my tears to fall.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN US

Adapted from:

"Perfect Fit" by Angel Bautista

Directed by:

Nadine Lustre and Paulo Avelino

Produced by:

James Reid

Nadine Lustre

Paulo Avelino

Screenplay by:

Angel Bautista

Janee Camino

Starring:

James Reid as Rafael Enriquez

Nadine Lustre as Patricia Villa

Paulo Avelino as James Herrera

I couldn't read the names that followed that anymore because my eyes were blurry from tears. James pulled our intertwined fingers close to his heart then he looked at me.

Hey...

Hey... I responded; my voice about to crack from holding back more of my tears.

You did it. His lips briefly brushed our knuckles. I'm so proud of you, love.

The lights dimmed and the screen turned black. He was about to pull me up but I stopped him. Paulo and I have a surprise clip after the end credits and even James didn't know about it.

The screen came to life again. It showed me and Paulo lying side by side in the grass. It was a risky shot actually; taken from an aerial view. We took the video using a drone. I was controlling the drone; we shot it twice but I've lost count of how many times we've tested it to make sure it would show only our profiles from the chest up; hiding our hands.

What the- James looked incredulous.

Shhh... I caressed the back of his hand to pacify him. Just as the scene on the screen plays out.

Do you regret it? I asked Paulo.

Letting you go? Every single day since I turned my back on you. Paulo asked; his eyes turned towards the blue sky.