Chapter Two Page Two

Thanks. I murmured. I tried to stand up but he was quick on his feet.

Not so fast. He supported my shoulders and the back of my knees, attempting to carry me.

Wha-what are you doing? Stop. I can walk by myself.

I don’t think so. You’re just going to hurt yourself more. Wag matigas ulo. Just do as I say or else this would start bleeding again. We both know how much you hate the sight of blood. I’m going to carry you to your room, put your feet up on the pillows and you won’t make a fuss. Tomorrow, if it still hurts, we’ll get it checked up.

I decided against arguing with him. The house is so quiet I’m afraid if the conversation gets heated, we’ll end up waking everyone else. He climbed up the stairs with me in his arms.

You never answered my question. What were you thinking this whole time?

Nothing. Na-drop ko lang yung wine kasi nagulat ako sa’yo.

He deliberated for a moment. No, that’s not it. I saw you walked in, going straight for the fridge. You looked disturbed. What are you worried about? Is it Reese? Your mom?

No, just… I deliberated telling him. Weird dream.

Bad weird? Or good weird?

Bad…really bad kind of weird.

He studied my face. I thought for sure he would follow it up with another probing question. Okay.

I breathed a sigh of relief when he finally rested his case.

He laid me down on the bed.

Ako na. I protested as he lifted the covers up.

He just looked at me, annoyance clearly visible in his expression. He placed two pillows under my legs.

You gonna be okay?

Yeah.

Okay. He was about to turn around when Reese stirred in his sleep.

Pa-pa? rubbing sleep from his eyes. Pa-pa…stay.

James looked at me. Seeking permission. I looked at Reese. Then I looked back at James.

Unfortunately, seeing two identical pair of hazel brown eyes is one battle I am bound to lose.

I nodded to James and lifted the covers on Reese’s other side. James walked back without a word, lay down, kissed Reese’s forehead and wrapped his arms around him. Sleep some more.

Then both of them closed their eyes. I didn’t think I can fall back to sleep. But the sound of their breathing lulled me.

 But the sound of their breathing lulled me