Chapter Sixteen Page Three

{James' POV}

The sight of Henz and Sam in the kitchen welcomed us.
Hey, you guys are up early.
Can’t say the same for the others.

Where’s Nath?

Uhm… At the beach probably.

I set Reese on Sam’s lap then walked towards the fridge and grabbed what I will need for breakfast. Good thing we’ve got rice left over from last night. I instruct Henz to start on the bacon while I chop the ingredients for mixed rice.

No, she wasn’t. Tom entered the kitchen with Ash.

Hmmm?

Nath. She left.

What? I turned around to face him. What do you mean?

We uhh… He looked at Ash hesitantly.
We kind of took a dip in the water around 3 am and she was on her way out when we got back.

Oooh… skinny dippin’ and you didn’t even invite us?
Trust Henz to find the humor in anything.

Where’d she go?

Uhm.. we don’t know. She said she got important things to do.

Oh, okay. I’ll check my phone later. She must’ve texted me or something. She’ll be back later.
I went back to chopping the spring onions.

James? I don’t think she’s coming back. Ash’s voice sounds a little hesitant.

Who? Just then, Nadine entered the room with Jack.

Ash looked between me and Nadine.
Si Nath. She was carrying her bags.

Without a word, I went back to our room to check. All her stuff’s gone. I checked my phone but not a single text or missed call from her. I dialed her number but it was off. Knowing her, she must have some valid reason to leave just like that. That thought got me so worried. I would have booked the next flight home if it wasn’t for Reese. I have to trust that things work out well because this entire weekend’s for Reese. It has to work itself out.

My mind went back to last night. Maybe her uneasiness over this whole setup was greater than she lets on.

We tried to act like nothing untoward has happened. Caryl kept calling us in spite of my explicit instruction to not disturb us. By night time, we decided to give in and take her call.

Caryl?

Kuya, uwi na kayo.

Our flight’s not until tomorrow morning. Besides –

Alam na nila kung sino yung nag-leak. That cut me off.

Who?

Uhmm… mas okay kung sa personal nyo malaman.

Okay, we’ll book the next flight.

Nadine looked surprised as she looked at me. I ended the call before responding to her silent question.

They found out who it is.

Understanding dawned on her face and we both bolted to our respective rooms to pack our bags.