Chapter Six Page Three

{James' POV}

Frankly, I thought she took the biggest blow. It wasn’t just her you rejected, it was Reese too.

I know. I replied quietly. And I do. It’s been bugging me for weeks now. Looking at Reese now, it seemed heartless that I wanted for Nadine to abort him. It’s only been a few months but I can’t imagine a world without Reese anymore. I hear it all the time, but it’s only now that I’ve proven for myself that someone so small can really turn one’s world upside down.

Where’s Nath? Andre trying to fill the eerie silence.

Uhh…Bahamas, I think.

You think?

We haven’t been seeing eye to eye lately. I feel uncomfortable talking about my relationship with Nath, so I asked him instead. Hey, tell me a story.

What?

About Reese. I nodded at Reese’ direction. You were there while he was growing up. And I wasn’t, so…

Yeah. He’s very much like you. I’m sure you’ve noticed the past few months you’ve been with them. He’s very observant, quiet mostly. But when he’s in a playful mood, he’s so makulit.

Nadine told me you gave him the nickname.

Yeah. We were visiting and he got his hands on Reese’s buttercups. Next thing we know, chocolate’s smothered all over his face. He laughed heartily. Reese looked at him, and gave him a toothed grin.
Oooh…someone looks like he knows we’re talking about him. Andre teased and started tickling Reese. Reese’s giggles filled the car.

He’s a really smart kid. I can’t believe we have such a smart kid.

He is. He’s more like you actually. Quiet and very observant. Well, you know Nadine never liked reading but she got into the habit on her second trimester I think. Says it helps distract her.

What was his first word?

Mama, I believe. I think most kids naman. Reese spoke his first word parang 10 months na sya non. Nadine was stressing about that actually. Naiinip na sya. She read somewhere that boys usually develop motor skills earlier than girls. While girls have advanced communication skills. Her mom keeps telling her that each kid’s different. That no kid has the same growth and development track. With Reese, he spoke first before learning to walk.

How many months was he when he learned to walk?

Almost one year na. We were visiting when Reese took his first step. Nadine was taking a bath and Yassi and I were playing with Reese on the floor. Reese suddenly stood up and Yassi screamed the house down. It was so funny when Nadine ran towards the living room in just her robe, bubbles all over her head. I thought for sure Reese was going to cry because of all the noise, he didn’t like loud sounds. But I guess he was too distracted trying to reach the tv screen.

What was on? Trying to distract myself from picturing Nadine wrapped in bubbles. Damn. I’t’s hard especially when I’ve seen her in just bubbles.

This music video of What the Fox Say? You remember that one? With the cast of Adventure Time?

Oh, yeah that was epic. I remember how much the four of us loved watching that video during Diary ng Panget taping. He liked that huh?

Oh yeah. He cried when the song ended. And we were all too amazed by his first two? Three steps? We forgot to take any video. We were all worried kasi nagwo-wobble sya initially eh.

I can imagine. I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to focus on the street ahead.
We’re here. I announced just as I took the turn for the villa entrance. We used to always rent this place for our spontaneous Tagaytay getaways with the squad.

Andre unbuckles Reese’s baby seat. And I walk to the trunk for our bags. Just as Andre carries Reese to the door, I called him back.

Dre… Not a day passed that I didn’t think of them.

He studies my face. Then gave me a curt nod and continue walking inside.