Chapter Six Page Two

{James' POV}

Silence filled the car. It was around Imus, Cavite a little close to my mom’s home when Reese woke up and asked for milk. Andre attended to him just fine.

Nakita na ng mommy mo si Reese?

Nope. We haven’t talked in…I don’t know. Can’t remember the last time I talked to her and Chantal.

Alam nya na kasal ka na?

Maybe. It’s all over the news now. She must have heard.

Andre didn’t respond to that. Everyone in our group of friends knew very well that I’m not really close to my mom. We make it seem in the press that I miss her when in fact; she doesn’t really care about me except for when they ask me for financial support.

He focused on Reese and pointed things to him on our way. Teaching him the tagalog words. Reese just listened earnestly, his milk bottle stuck in his mouth. Then he would occasionally let the nipple go and try to copy Dre.

Andre.

Hmmm?

Thanks. I know it’s so late but thank you. For taking care of Nadine. And Reese.

He looked at me through the rearview mirror. Do you regret it?

You want an honest answer? I regret the moments I’ve missed in Reese’s life. I looked at Reese who’s tugging on Dre’s hair. The first laugh, first step, first word…but I try to look back and think through on whether I’d make a different choice if I can turn it all around…

And you’d choose the same thing. He finished what I couldn’t find the words to say.

The tension’s palpable in the air.

Can I ask you something?

I nodded.

Did you even think about them? All these years? Did they ever cross your mind?

I thought about the one time I visited Nadine without her knowing. But decided against telling Andre. That doesn’t really matter anymore. So instead, I answered him,

Her mom sends me pictures of Reese. Did you know that?

Uhh…yeah I think Yassi mentioned something about that. But…during the first few months…you really never thought of them?

It was hard not to think about Nadine, man. She gutted me. I’ve never felt that kind of heartbreak in my life. She just left. I don’t think anyone could go through that without thinking about it every time it hurt.

He bit his lip.

Say it.

Huh?

Whatever it is on your mind. Say it.