Chapter Twenty-Three

"We have to go now" I nodded as Adrien whispered into my ear. I started to crawl, leading him towards and exit that Tikki told me about. We turned again and got to another closed up vent. I pushed against it trying to get it open. Not budging. "Here let me" I scooted over as he got on his back. He then kicked up, the vent flying up. I lifted my self up, swinging my legs over. He did the same, struggling a bit.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Just go!" I nodded and at this part we could stand up. I began to run and got to another blocked vent. Adrien lightly pushed me to the side. He rammed his shoulder into it, sending it flying as well. I ran foreword as we made it to the roof of the prison. The alarms were still going on, helicopters with beam lights in the sky. Guards below us, rushing around with guns in hand. "So what now?"

"If we stay against the wall we should be fine" he nodded at my response as I scanned the roof. I found it. "How's your stomach doing?"

"Sore but fine..why?" I ran over to the black bag, still hiding against the wall. I then pulled out the yo-yo and tossed him the staff. He caught it, spinning it around.

"We are gonna have to jump if we are gonna make it. The west entrance should have the electrical lines down. Your father sent a getaway car to be parked there"

"Mari.."

"Adrien we have to go now or else we are-"

He pulled me down to his crouching position. "Mari did you do this all..for me?" I looked at him in concern, my hand went up to caress his face.

"Of coarse I did Adrien. I could've been dead without you..."

"But Mari I brought you into all of this. Your life would've been simpler without me..I-I fucked it up for you"

"No you didn't. To whoever wanted me dead, they didn't get their shot. They could've hired anyone else. I would've been dead. But you didn't kill me. You made my life just that much exciting" I lightly kissed his cheek, smiling at him. "Now let's get out of here you stupid cat" he grinned again nodding. We both got up.

"Je t'aime Marionette" he said close to me before free falling off the roof. I felt my cheeks heat up, following him. My yo yo had gripped onto the fence letting me pull myself towards it. I landed hard on it, holding on for dear life. I climbed up a bit seeing Adrien got over. I swung both my legs over the fence. "Jump I'll catch you!"

"I'll get down fine. I don't want to hurt your stomach! I'm to heavy" he rolled his eyes as I continued to carefully descend down the 15 foot fence. I glanced down in time to see him kick the fence, loosening my grip on the fence and plummet down. I screamed, feeling him catch me.

"Light as a feather bugaboo" I slapped his arm as he chuckled setting me on my feet. I shook my head as we began to find the getaway car.

~
"Oh my boy! My little boy" Tikki ran up to Adrien, squeezing him to death, sobbing into his shoulder. He groaned hugging her back and stroking her hair.

"Ma..Ma- my stomach.." he wheezed and she let go, rubbing the tears off her face.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry it's just..I didn't want to lose you too" he rested a hand on her shoulder, looking down as he still towered over her.

"You won't Ma I promise" she sniffled and then looked at me. She then ran up to me, also cutting off my circulation with a hug.

"Thank you for saving him. Thank you for saving my boy"

"Hey it's no problem" she let go of me, eyes still glimmering with tears.

"Well we have to get you guys out of the country. Adrien your father request that you and Mari here meet him at head quarters" 

"Wait why?" He raised a brow.

"You'll see. It's a surprise. Anyways I made dinner than off to bed" both of us nodded, following her into the kitchen. Adrien sat in the stool next to me as we both are quietly, quite enjoying the meal.

It was like that for a while. Enjoying the silence. Peace. Until I glanced at him as he seemed troubled, staring blankly at his food. "Adrien..?" He looked up again as his face softened a bit.

"Yes Mari?"

"You seemed trouble. You should be happy. We are free" he sighed setting his fork down.

"I don't want to talk about it" he tensed up a bit, clenching his fist together.

"It seems to be bothering you a lot are you sure-"

"Yes I said that I don't want to talk about it!" His voice rose as he got up angrily. He took is plate with him  emptying the last of its contents in the trash and setting the plate in the sink. I stayed quite as he stormed out of the room.  I bit my lip waiting a few minutes before doing the same.

I went straight for the bathroom. A nice hot, long shower should cure all this soreness. I shut the door turning on the water. I painfully took off my clothes. I glanced at the mirror regretting it.

Scars. Everywhere. Along my neck, towards my stomach and scattered on my legs and back. Some deep some almost healed all the way. I turned away from my image and stepped into the shower.

Then the door had opened.