Chapter Fourty

Breakfast was quiet. Laurie's face was drained, it looks like she was mourning Kim all night. Mark was giving Adrien glares, then giving glares at me. Adrien just kept his head down, staring at his food. Tammy was really the talkative one, trying to start up a conversation. She was shot down each time by her mother. She went quiet after a while. Then all of sudden as soon as I finished my meal Adrien had gotten up.

"Mari. Let's go. We are leaving" I looked at him with concern wanting to ask but shut my mouth.

"Is that how your going to handle this? Running away, like always right?" Mark piped up. Adrien's teeth had gritted.

"Thank you for your hospitality while we stayed here Laurie. I hope you both mourn for your lost and pay your respects deeply. Let's go" he grabbed my arm, helping me up. Tammy looked up with sad eyes.

"No! Uncle Adrien you can't go!" She got up and hugged his torso, holding onto him tightly.

"I'm sorry peanut. But someone's made me very mad and I don't want to hurt anyone" he bent down to her level, giving her a proper hug.

"I'll beat them up. I'll beat up whoever made you mad" she said pulling away and her fists went up.

"It's okay. I've dealt with it" he stared directly at Mark. Laurie looked in between the men, obviously very confused and unknowing of what happened. "Listen I will come visit you when I can. Besides soon you will start training and I will be able to see you everyday"

She nodded, still pouting. He sighed getting up and motioning to the exit. I nodded mouthing a thank you. Laurie had nodded and I made my way out, followed by him. He grabbed our duffel bags from the couch walking towards the door. He pressed a few of the buttons then the door had opened to the stairwell. I glanced back to see Tammy, who looked very sad while her father was angry, his hand on her shoulder.

I then followed Adrien up.

~

"You've been driving for hours, you must be tired"'he blinked a few, times leaning back against the seat.

"No I'm fine" I frowned knowing he wasn't fine. How many hours of sleep did he get? I sighed. I have to talk to him about what I heard him say, god he has to know.

"Can we t-talk about something then?" He ran a free hand through his unbrushed hair.

"What is it?" He glanced at me then back at the road. I stayed silent for a bit, trying to think of how to phrase it. Then I found the words.

"I heard you and Mark talking...this morning. I wasn't asleep" suddenly he swerved, almost crashing into the car next to us. I screamed as he went across three lanes just to pull over. He then stopped, making me put out my hands so my head wouldn't hit the dashboard.

"Shit! Are you hurt?" He immediately went to panic.

"No! What the hell was that?!"

"I'm sorry I just. God. Fuck!" He hit the steering wheel hard. I leaned against the door, afraid. Afraid of what he was going to do. He then looked at me. His face dropping. "You can't listen to what he said. Mari please I am not that way. Not anymore"

"Why didn't you tell me Chat? About your condition. You need medicine! Why are you hurting yourself even more?"

"I don't want you to see me as a monster. I felt okay after a while. I stopped taking the pills. I was good. Then you were taken and I went berserk. It happened again and the medicine can't stop it once it's happening. I did something very bad, it was very bad"

"Chaton you can tell me anything, please let me help you" he rested his head against the steering wheel, holding onto it until his knuckles went white.

"Don't drag your self down with me. It's not safe"

"Well Damn Adrien! Safe? Safe isn't a word I can use anymore. I'm never safe anymore. We are never safe. Not in this world we live in, not ever!" His muscles relaxed. His head lifted giving me a blank stare.

"Did you just yell at me?"

"You make me so frustrated! So angry at times! Quit blaming yourself. Stop saying that your going to be my cause of death. That your going to kill me if I get to close. Last night was one of the times where we were close. I didn't see you holding my head under water now did I?!" He went silent. Just watching me. I let out a shaky breath, my hands pulling at my shirt, adjusting it.

"It started when my mom died..." he drifted off, rolling his head around uncomfortably. "I started to get flashes of anger, of hate towards my dad because of what he did. He just thought it was because I thought he killed her. As I got older it got worse, when I first transformed into the Chat, I...I" he got choked up, it was like he got me couldn't breathe. He leaned back against the chair again, his eyes tearing up. My eyebrows raised, I haven't seen him like this before. His walls were down, he really was vulnerable.

"Massacre of '14...all those people. I did that. I-I killed them" his voice broke. "I-i did that. They put me in an asylum, my father I mean. To control the Cat. I was in there for two years, my own personal cell. The.. they put me on the meds and let me out. I was depressed for a while, until I took a hit man job, it was my release"

It then went quiet as silent tears ran down his face. It was for minutes which felt like hours as I tried to process everything.

"Adrien. Where are we going?" He sniffled then cleared his throat.

"Rome" he croaked.

"Give me the keys I'm driving"