Chapter Thirty-Five

I kept stirring, staring at the recipe book she had laid out. Add vegetables then leave to simmer. That's when I heard a scream, sobs right after. I flinched a bit, putting the wooden spoon down on the counter top. I set up the timer on the stove and smoothed down the apron I wore. I quickly checked the oven at the bread I started to bake. I closed the oven back up, untying the ties to my apron. I set it on a hook, walking to the living room.

Adrien was sitting on the coffee table in front of the aged couple, his hands clasped as they rested on his knees. The couple meanwhile were holding onto each other, sobbing in each other's arms. The whole sight was depressing. They reminded me of my parents. They were around the same age.

I still remember when I went to visit my parents. How they held onto me and cried. How they begin to sob when the policemen had taken me from their grasp. Then I heard another noise that had taken me from out of my trance. A pitter patter of steps. "Uncle Adrien!" Suddenly a little girl had come from the stairs, jumping into his arms. He chuckled hugging her back and spinning her around in the air. She squealed, giggling.

He set the girl down back down on her feet. She worriedly glanced over at the couple. "Why are Mommy and Daddy sad?" Quickly her parents wiped at their eyes, trying to get rid of any evidence of them crying.

"N-No we aren't sad baby we ha-have happy tears.." her mother had said, wiping away at both her eyes.

"Oh..then why are you happy?" She sat on Adrien's lap, his arm draping over her lap. The father stiffened.

"W-Well Kim is going to work on a farm...a really good one..for a very very long time"

"Oh when will he back?" She piped like nothing was wrong at all.

"Well we don't know..but we know he's in a better place now..." she smiled, her dimples showing.

"That's good! But I will miss him!" The mother frowned again, her voice coming out shaky.

"M-me too baby" the ding of the oven made me stop staring. I put the apron back on, putting in an oven mitt. I took out the pan of baked goods, placing them on the counter top. The sweet smell of the bread was all through the air making me sigh in content. I then went over to the soup, Turing off the stove top and taking the pot away from the hot spot. I gave it a few stirs then let it start to cool off. I popped my head back into the door way to the living room.

"Hey dinner is ready" they offered me light smiles but the girl tilted her head. I went back in not paying attention to the conversation after that. I filled up four bowls with the soup, placing each bowl on a separate plate. I then placed two buns on the side of the bowls, setting it down at the table. They all then walked in, their eyes widening at the food set down nicely. I grabbed utensils for them as they sat down, handing them out.

"This looks wonderful dear, thank you for taking over"

"It's no problem. I always used to cook for my family" I took off the apron hanging it up again. I started to clean up the mess of all the pots and pans I used.

"Mari are you going to eat?" I stared at Adrien then quickly looked back down.

"I um.."

"-Here let me help you then" he got up from his seat, coming over. I bit my lip turning my attention to cleaning up. He came up close behind me, grabbing a bowl. His voice had tickled at my ear. "You have to eat stop doing this to yourself" I shivered.

"I'm not hungry I'm sorry"

"If I have to shove the spoon down your throat I will, come on" he placed the food exactly the way I had found it, leading me towards the table. I had just noticed there was only four chairs.

"Oh shame there's no extra sea-" he put the plate down, pulling me down onto his lap as he sat down. His hands trapped me, going around my waist.

"Now eat" the couple gave us curious looks, the little girl not even paying attention as she happily ate.

"So Mari is it?" The man had started. "I'm sorry to have met on such bad terms...devestating really"

"Marinette sir...I'm sorry about Kim, he was a good man" I took a bite of the bread then stirred around my spoon in the soup. The woman was silent the whole time, her husband talking.

"Alright well my name is Mark, my wife being Laurie and the little girl is Tamantha, Tammy for short"She gave a short wave, then happily going back to her food. She was so innocent, so pure. "Anyways how did you guys meet?" I felt myself tense up, his hand had slithered across my thigh, running soft circles.

"She was one of my assignments actually" both their expressions can be contrasted to shock. "I know it's rather odd but she saved me so I saved her..we got through it together" his hand kept doing the same motion, it was like his hand was trying to hypnotize me.

"Well you guys are on the run right? Your welcome to stay here for the night" he continued. Mark set down his spoon, his hands clasping.

"Are you sure? We don't want to intrude on your grieving"

"No please" Laurie had interrupted. "Stay. It's the least we can do. We owe you"

"You don't owe us anything Lau-"

"No I do. Mari cooked us dinner and Adrien.." she sighed tears coming up in her eyes. "You let my boy alive for this long, I thank you for that"