Chapter Thirty-Nine

My nightmares kept me up all night. All my thoughts just whispering through me. I may have woken up maybe five times through the night, waking up Adrien each time with my screams. I also woke up Laurie and Mark once in which I had to apologize for. I gave up after about four a.m. I stayed awake, only pretending to be asleep just so Adrien could sleep. Then I stared at him. Just watched him sleep. Was I a stalker for doing so? I wonder.

His grip on me tightened as he was mumbling his own words. I just continued to watch him, my hand hesitantly going through his hair. His words had stopped his hold on me loosening. Maybe he just needed to know I was there, that I was here, with him. I tried to close my eyes to sleep, but I just couldn't. Maybe a glass of milk will help me, or maybe a sleeping pill. Slowly I got out of his grip, making sure he would stay asleep. He grabbed my pillow. He's always been a cuddler, that's something I've noticed about him.

I laughed to myself quietly then had slipped out of the room.  I closed the door behind me then had went down stairs. I made my way towards the kitchen, turning on a lamp so I could see. I rubbed my eyes, this exhaustion will be the death of me. I poured myself a glass of milk, taking small sips from it. I sighed again, just listening to the sounds of the clock. I just stared, into the dim room, my eyes were finally starting to close shut. I yawned finding my way to the couch, taking my last few sips of my drink then dozing off again.

~
I was awoken by voices. Someone's arms was wrapped around me, holding me like I was a child. I went to open my eyes but then kept them closed as I heard the conversation they were having.

"I worry about that girl. Five times. Five times she work up screaming. I know that she saw...saw...I know that but that wouldn't cause every single one of her dreams. What happened to her if you don't mind me asking?" It was Marks voice that made whoever was holding me stiffen.

"W-Well...a lot has happened" it was Adrien who answered, stuttering on his words.

"I'm sorry if I'm pushing it...it must be hard. She's so young"

"She's not much younger than me you know?"

"But you were born into this life, you were born to be this way"

"No ones born to be like me. They are made to be a monster" Mark then went silent. Maybe his thoughts had finally caught up to him.

"So where do you think your gonna take her? Your still on the run" Adrien had leaned back against the couch more sighing, his hand finding my hair and playing with it.

"I'm probably going to take her back to headquarters. She needs to train and that place is the only place where she can properly get it"

"Alright fair enough. But the threat. You said there is a mole there"

"That's exactly why I'm going there. I need to talk to my father, get more updates about Hong Kong especially. I only have less than two months to get her Kwami"

"Have you warned her? Warned her of-"

"She knows what she's getting herself into"

"No I don't mean that I mean the other thing. When you could..lose control?" He stiffened again. Losing control?

"No..no she doesn't need to know about that. She doesn't need to fear me"

"So how will you explain when you hur-"

"IM NOT GOING TO HURT HER" anger had pulsed through him, making my eyes widen and jump up. He then went to a whisper when he saw me awake. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Go back to sleep"

I simply nodded as he wrapped his arm around me again. I tried to close my eyes again, pretending to drift of to sleep. I wanted to know more. I needed to know more. "I wish to not talk about my condition right now. I have other things to worry about Mark"

"You should be your own priority... your condition per say needs to be watched. When was the last time you ever took medication?" Adrien had sighed, seeming to run a hand through his face. Wait medication?

"I don't know a month. Since I went to prison really" Mark had sighed.

"I'm surprised you've lasted this long without going insane"

"I'm doing fine. She's kept me sane I guess" Mark then hummed, maybe observing Adrien.

"What will happen when she is kidnapped or she dies? Answer that one"

"Then I will murder anyone who tries or even attempts to touch her"

"What if that psychopath is yourself? She can't defend herself against you"

"I'm not going to lose my shit around her. Trust me on this"

"So you haven't gone close to even think about having her blood on your hands. To watch as her life leaves her body as you begin to squeeze her neck. Didn't even think of how many knife wounds she can withheld before she bleeds out?"

"Stop it"

"Or how far can you lodge a bullet into her skull? How long will she last? And when she dies, will her heart still beat or will it stop? Maybe drowning will do her good. Fill her lungs up with water let her choke on the lost for air"

"SHUT UP!" I was frozen in fear. I couldn't move from my dormant state. My pretend dormant state. It's like I can almost see Mark grinning. Adrien's shaky hand went through my hair as his breathing seemed to calm down.

"To keep her safe I would remove her from the problem don't you think?"