City of Deadly Sins

PROLOUGE: THAT WAS THEN.

Clarissa Morgenstern was only a child. Her and her brother, Jonathan Morgenstern were only a year apart. They played and danced and were children together. Sort of.

Clarissa, or Clary for short, was not as tall or as heavy as normal seven year olds. She was what her father called a 'Runt' Shadowhunter. She had firey redhair and green eyes. Her complexion was fair and freckles were sprinkled across her nose and cheeks. She was strong, for her size, and smart. She was smart in stragy and school work. Like a Mundane, she enjoyed art. Her father hated that, but she ignored it.

Jonathan Morgenstern was a taller boy and had a slight build for an eight year old. He had snow white hair like an aging man. His whole eye, iris and pupil, was a drenching black. As well as her sister, his complexion was fair. Apart from her, he didn't have freckles and had a squre jawline. Clary had given him the nickname "Johnny" when they were four. Jonathan was aging fast, but still stayed young. It was marveling.

Their mother was dead. Her name was Jocelyn Fairchild-Morgenstern. Her father had told her about the Circle and the war they brought amoung themselves with the rest of the Shadowhunters. Anyway, Jocelyn had always wanted to name a girl Clarissa, so- despite he despised the name -Clary's father named her in Jocelyn's honor. Clary looks exactly like Jocelyn in pictures, she thought. She died giving birth to Clary five months after the war.

Their father was Valentine Morgenstern. He had black hair and red eyes. He never smiled. He favored Jonathan in all ways possible. He spoiled him, basically praised him, and beat him less. Valentine was strong, had a square jawline, like Jonathan, and high cheekbones. He was tall, and unlike his two children, he was very tan. Almost a light brown.

All three of them, Jonathan and Clary and Valentine, lived in a cottage away from Idris. They lived in Berlin where their closest neighbor was 30 miles. Here, Clary and Jonathan trained and would soon recive their first runes together. Here, they were beat and lied to together. Here, they were only loved by eachother. Here, was not home.

But they were children then. What could they do?

They had little training and no runes. Not yet.

Clary's day continued the same for fifteen years of her life:

Wake up

Get ready

Train

Eat

Train

School work

Eat

Train

Paint

Get beat

Eat

Get ready

Go to bed

Repeat.

For fifteen years.