CHAPTER 1: Carrying Ourselves

JANUARY 9, 2007

Clary's red silk dress whipped around her ankles as she stood in the meadow outside of her home as she drew the soundless rune on her ankle. She stood straight, her dress now reaching just after her knee.

"Clary!" Her brother screamed, running up to join her. "Clary! Simon is coming up."

Clary smiled. Simon Lewis was her parabati. Even though Simon used lived just outside Alicante, they met during a battle with a Greater Demon two years ago. They instantly became best friends, and soon parabati which ment they lived together in her father's cottage.

Simon Lewis was sixteen like Clary, had curly dark brown- almost black -hair. His eyes were a dark green and he was dressed in his red gear, runes new and old were tattooed on his skin. He had plenty of white scars, though, not as many as Clary. After they became parabati, her father excepted him as his own child.

"Mon enfant's parabati est mon enfant, trop." He had said to him. Or, "My child's parabati is my child, too."

Valentine treated Simon the same as he did his other two children. But, he did not beat him, nor did her beat his other two children infront of him.

"Hello, Clarissa." He said as he proceeded up the hill.

"Greetings, Simon." Clary smirked.

"'Greetings?'" He repeated. "What are we from Area 51? 'Greetings Earthlings, take me to your leader!'" Clary laughed.

She and Simon started heading up the hill when she heard her father sceam, war calls, and seraph blades blazing.

"What the hell?" Simon said.

Clary started to panic. She knew her father was calling down Greater Demons today to declare war with the rest of the Nephlim, but she didn't think they would find out.

Not yet, anyway.

Clary protested, of course- that only lead to more beatings.

She didn't have anything to protect herself with, and Simon left his weapons inside. "What do we do?" Simon asked her.

"Run," She responded.