CHAPTER 48: Nothing

Ragnor Fell pushed his white, tousled hair. His eyes, he felt, weight eight tons, and his green skin was turning pale.

"Ragnor," His friend, Magnus said to him. "please go sleep. Get rest."

Ragnor started to shake his head as Magnus laughed.

"Your just as stubborn as her."

Ragnor laughed a little. "Remember when me, you, and Amber had to get medicine from that one pharmacy in 1754 for Heather and she wouldn't take a break until we got there?"

Magnus chuckled. "It took us three days to get there because we all shared to same farm land, the nearest pharmacy was fifty miles away, there was a blizzard, and we were afraid our horses would freeze."

Ragnor took a long sip of coffee. "Our asses freezed, I'll tell you that."

Magnus took the seat across from Ragnor, so now they were eye level. "She's so selfless," he filled a glass with scotch. "She'd be trying to get you and I asleep before she slept."

Ragnor nodded, but then shook Hus head. "Let's talk about her some more. Maybe it will help me sleep."

Magnus smirked. "Okay," he sipped his scotch. "Remember when we tried to help Amber fix up James Herondale when he got in the way of my work."

Ragnor smiled and quoted what his friend had said, "'It was an accident I swear!'"

Magnus grumbled. "'You are the reason we always move, Magnus! Your always making Amber clean up your messes.' But, Heather always says that."

"She doesn't always mean it." Ragnor sighed. "I think I can sleep now."

***

Clary sat up, slowly in her infirmary bed. Jonathan, Simon, and Jace stood by her bed side as she moaned in pain. Magnus stood at the foot of her bed with bifocals at the edge of his nose, and a hand on his chin.

Jace whinced, moving forward.

Magnus put his hand up, shaking his head.

Clary finally gave up. She collapsed back onto her pillow.

"We need Amber when we need her most." Magnus told everyone. "Clary isn't going to heal with just a rune or a simple spell from me. I've never heard of the demon Clary encountered. We cannot do anything for her."

Clary couldn't see what everyone else was doing because her eyes were closed, but she could imagine Jace taking out his stele and stepping forward as his voice echoed around the room. "What about a few iratzes?"

She heard Magnus sigh. "One on her shoulder and inner thigh. Its the best we can do."

Next, she heard Jace's footsteps, but Jonathan's voice. "I got this."

She felt the familiar burn of the stele on her right arm. Next, she felt the same burn on her inner thigh.

Jonathan kissed her temple. "It'll be over soon. We'll find Amber and Heather to heal to."

Clary heard footsteps. exiting the room. "I don't care about being healed." She opened her eyes and rolled onto her back, groaning and breathing heavily. Magnus, Jonathan, Jace, and Simon turned around and looked at her. "I just care about them being safe and okay. I saw our father, Johnny," she shivered. "Could he still be alive?"

"What do you mean you saw our father?" Jonathan asked.

Clary closed her eyes, too weak to keep them opened. "I saw our father."

Then, she drifted off.